Eating My Way from A to Z in the Triangle: A is for Arby’s

My Restaurant Adventure Series: The Letter A, 

Fast Food Edition

Arby’s

If you read my first Restaurant Adventure post, you know I am working my way through local restaurants alphabetically, visiting two to four spots for each letter. Abbey Road Tavern & Grill kicked off the letter A in style, but no alphabetical restaurant adventure would be complete without a fast food stop. For the letter A, that stop was Arby’s, and I visited not once but twice.

A Little History

Before we get to the food, let me share something I found really inspiring about this brand. Arby’s was founded in 1964 by two brothers, Forrest “Fuzzy” and Leroy Raffel, born and raised in Zanesville, Ohio. Both brothers served in the military during World War II before going on to earn impressive degrees, Forrest from Cornell’s School of Hotel and Restaurant Administration and Leroy from the Wharton School of Finance.

In the 1950s they purchased their uncle’s restaurant equipment business and built it into one of the country’s leading food service consulting firms. But their real dream was bigger. They wanted to create a fast food concept that stood apart from the burger chains dominating the market at the time. Their answer was simple: roast beef sandwiches. The name Arby’s comes from the initials of their company, Raffel Brothers, RB. Say it out loud and there you have it.

They faced real challenges along the way, including near bankruptcy in 1970 from expanding too quickly. But they adapted, persevered, and ultimately sold the brand to RC Cola in 1976 for $18 million. It is a story of vision, resilience, and two brothers who believed in their idea even when things got hard. I love that.

Arby’s has had some pretty memorable slogans over the years, and honestly each one tells a little story about where the brand was at the time. It all started simply and deliciously in 1964 with “Arby’s Roast Beef Sandwich is Delicious,” which, no arguments here. By 2001 they were leaning into what made them stand out with “Different is Good,” a nod to the fact that they were never trying to be a burger joint. Then came “I’m Thinking Arby’s” from 2005 to 2010, which I have to say is one of those taglines that just sticks with you. From 2010 to 2012 they kept the good vibes going with “It’s Good Mood Food,” and wrapping up the list from 2012 to 2014 was “Slicing Up Freshness,” a reminder that the roast beef you are getting is the real deal. Of course today most of us know them best by their current tagline, “We Have the Meats,” and after two visits I have to say they are not wrong.

The Visits

My first visit was at the Arby’s in Apex, NC. The second was on our return road trip home from the coast back to Cary, a perfect road trip stop. Both times I ordered the exact same thing, because when you find something you love, you stick with it.

The Food

I had the classic Arby’s Roast Beef Sandwich with curly fries and a Coke. Simple. Iconic. Delicious.

The roast beef was everything you want it to be: tender, moist, and full of flavor. I dressed mine with both Arby’s sauce and horseradish sauce, and that combination truly elevated the sandwich. The slight tang of the horseradish paired with the sweetness of the Arby’s sauce is a match that works beautifully. The curly fries are always a win, crispy, well seasoned, and the perfect sidekick to that sandwich.

I ordered the same meal on both visits and enjoyed it just as much the second time. That says something.

The Bell

Here is one of my favorite things about Arby’s, the bell. Many classic Arby’s locations have an iconic wall-mounted bell near the exit with a sign that reads something like “If we did well, ring the bell!” It is a tradition that dates back decades, a simple and public way for customers to say thank you for great food and great service.

We always ring it on the way out. I will say I handle the bell with a bit more delicacy than my dining partner Rocky. When Rocky rings that bell, I am fairly certain they can hear it in the parking lot. But honestly, maybe that is not such a bad thing. A bell ringing that enthusiastically might just be the best advertisement a restaurant could ask for.

It is worth noting that newer and remodeled Arby’s locations have largely phased out the bells for a more modern look. So if you spot one, give it a ring. It is a little piece of fast food history worth celebrating.

Final Thoughts

Arby’s is a classic for a reason. Consistent, flavorful, and always reliable whether you are stopping in for a quick lunch or pulling off the highway on a road trip home. The roast beef sandwich with both sauces is my personal recommendation, and the curly fries are non-negotiable.

And if there is a bell on your way out, ring it. Ring it with joy.

Next up in the Restaurant Adventure Series, we keep moving through the alphabet. Stay tuned!

New restaurant, new experience. Visit somewhere you have never tried this week and share your thoughts in the comments. I would love to hear from you!

KathieyV

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Places-Hiking A Linville Falls Trail in North Carolina.

Travel Blast From the Past-Linville Falls Winery in the Mountains of NC

Let's Get Cooking-The March Recipe Challenge. Let's Have Fun Cooking!