Entertainment Wrap-Up For January 2024

Entertainment Wrap-Up for January 2024

Here are the movies, TV shows, a podcast or two, and maybe a song.  The things that I have been watching/reading/or listening to lately.

**********

On Hulu

Sons of Anarchy

I have been watching Sons of Anarchy on Hulu. I am on season 3, episode 5, and there are 7 seasons, so I have a way to go.  Here is more info from Wikipedia...

"Sons of Anarchy is an American action crime drama television series created by Kurt Sutter for FX. Originally aired from October 3, 2008, to December 9, 2014, Sons of Anarchy follows the lives of a close-knit outlaw motorcycle club operating in Charming, a fictional town in California's Central Valley. Charlie Hunnam stars as Jackson "Jax" Teller, who is initially the vice president and subsequently the president of the club. After discovering a manifesto written by his late father, John, who previously led the club, he begins to question himself, his relationships, and the club. Themes throughout the show include love, brotherhood, loyalty, betrayal, and redemption. It explored vigilantism, government corruption, and racism. The show's plot depicted an outlaw motorcycle club as an analogy for human transformation. David Labrava, a real-life member of the Oakland chapter of Hells Angels, served as a technical adviser and also played the recurring character Happy Lowman, the club's assassin."

I have become attached to many of the characters in this show.  Be aware of trigger warnings with this show; it is violent, and there is nudity on the show and sexual situations as well.  Overall a very good show.


The Floor

I just started watching a new show called The Floor.  It is a fun game show that I am really enjoying.  Here is a description from Wikipedia...



"The Floor is an American game show based on the Dutch game show of the same name. The series is hosted by Rob Lowe and premiered on January 2, 2024. The game is based around a floor divided into a grid of squares initially each represented a different contestant with expertise in a different trivia category. The contestants compete with neighbouring contestants in head-to-head trivia "duels" with the winner's "territory" expanding into the square(s) of the floor that were controlled by the losing player.

The game progresses over the course of a season with the grand prize awarded to the player who ultimately controls the entire floor, with secondary prizes awarded throughout the season to the player with the most territory at the end of each episode."

There are many interesting categories in this game.  Some of which I can easily answer questions about, and with others, I am completely lost.  It is a fun game show I suggest you check it out.

**********

Podcasts

A podcast I love is Stuff You Should Know.  
I have been listening to it for years, and I have learned a lot.  They discuss just about anything you can think of.  Great show.

I listened to a new podcast that I really enjoyed, A Short History Of...
This show is very interesting and informative.  I have learned much about things that have happened in the past that I knew nothing about and things I knew a little about I know have more detail on.  If you like history, this will be a podcast you will love.


**********
Books
I just finished The Surrogate Mother by Freida McFadden.  I listened to it on Audible

Here is an overview...
Abby wants a baby more than anything.

But after years of failed infertility treatments and adoptions that have fallen through, it seems like motherhood is not in her future. That is, until her personal assistant Monica makes a generous offer that will make all of Abby's dreams come true.

Or all of her nightmares.

Because it turns out Monica isn't who she says she is. The woman now carrying Abby's child has dark, twisted secrets.

And she will stop at nothing to get what she wants.

Here is a 5-star review...
At first, I really wasn't sure I'd like this book, but a few chapters in and interested was sparked. I wanted to know what was going to happen to the strong female lead and her cold-blooded boss. It wasn't long after that I was glued, addicted, could not put the book down. Well-written and very addictive indeed, I will be looking for more from this author.

Here is a 1-star review...

If you’re looking for a thriller with predictable plot lines and maddeningly naive characters, this may be a book you’d want to read. I could hardly get through half of it without being so irritated by the repeated cycle of poor decision-making and childlike inner thoughts of the protagonist that I had to put it down. I laughed out loud at the cheesy and overplayed “villain explains her rationale and intent” ending with dialogue that made me cringe. I think the general plot line could be interesting, but it wasn’t my cup of tea. I think the most surprising thing about this book is the 4.3 stars it currently has.

As far as my own review, I would give it a 3.75 on my reading scale.  I agree with the 5-star review in that it was somewhat addictive because I was drawn into the plot line. I, too, agree with the 1-star review in that it was somewhat predictable, and I, too, did not like the protagonist's thoughts at times because they seemed naive.  Overall, it was worth the read, and I did enjoy it.  
**********
Music
I recently put together a playlist of songs about roses on Spotify.  I was writing a post on National Rose Day, and I thought it would be fun to have a playlist for that post.  Here is a link to the playlist. If you have Spotify, you can play it.  

My favorite song on this playlist is by Bon Jovi

What are you watching, reading, and listening to?
I would love to know in the comment box.

KathieyV

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Weekend Reading Links and Video Links- How Much Should You Tip Your Food Delivery Person?