Entertainment Wrap -Up for Aug 22, 2022, Books, Movies and TV.

Much is happening in the entertainment area regarding books, TV, and movies.  Here is what I have been watching, reading, and listening to lately. 


The YouTube Version



What am I reading?  


I am reading one physical book and listening to one audiobook.  

The physical book I got from the library is called The Dutch House by Anne Patchet.  I am about halfway through, and I am really enjoying it.  I would call it a contemporary family drama.  It all starts off in America in a "Dutch House."  In the house, initially, you find a distant father, a mother who has left, a brother and a sister, and the house staff.  Along comes someone else who becomes part of the home dynamic, and everything changes from there.  It is holding my interest, and I look forward to reading it every evening.

The audiobook is Burden Falls by Kat Ellis.  I am not as invested in it as I am in The Dutch House, but I don't want to give up just yet.  I still have nearly 8 hours left in this listen, and I am curious about what happens. This book is horror, mystery, thriller, and paranormal.  I may end up really liking it; we will see, although it seems like a teen book, and it is driving me a bit bonkers. 

What Am I Watching?

TV Shows



I started to watch Flowers in the Attic on Hulu, but it was not for me.  I stopped halfway through the first episode.

I still consistently watch Master Chef and The Tonight Show. I have not watched America's Got Talent in weeks, so I took it off my list.  I continue to watch the Umbrella Academy but very infrequently. I have found I am losing interest.

I started watching "Alone: Frozen" on Hulu.  Here is a description...

"An inside look at History's new series "Alone: Frozen"; introducing the six"Alone" veterans undertaking this extreme challenge."  This takes place in Labrador, Canada, where 6 contestants strive, alone, to spend 50 days in extreme weather conditions.  Whoever makes it 50 days will split a monetary reward. 

I find the show interesting, but I fast forward often to get to more exciting parts.  Here is the trailer.



I am watching two home design shows on Netflix.  The first is called Instant Dream Home.  In this show, the goal is to make over a home in 12 hours.  The families are unaware of what is happening, but after being away, they return to a remodeled home.  

I am really enjoying this show.  I cried during the first episode. It was so good.  All of these homeowners need the help, and it is so satisfying to see the end result.  

You wonder how this is possible in 12 hours.  They do a ton of planning and prep before they get there, bringing in hundreds of people to accomplish their goal.
I have now watched the entire season, and I am not ashamed to say there were tears, but they were happy tears.  Below is the trailer...


The other design show is also on Netflix.  It is called Dream Home Makeover.  Here is a description...

"Shea and Syd McGee make dreams come true for families looking for the perfect home tailored to their own unique styles." 

This is the third season of this show, and Netflix has only season 3.  It is a bit more upscale than Instant Home Makeover, but it is very good.
Here is the trailer...


Movies That I Recently Watched


I am doing a new series that involves entertainment in history.  The first one I have done was to take a look at books, TV, movies, music, and more that were popular in 1957.  According to several sites, The Bridge Over the River Kwai was the number one movie in 1957.  So I thought I would watch it.
Here is an overview of the movie which I watched on Amazon Prime...

"British POWs are forced to build a railway bridge across the river Kwai for their Japanese captors in occupied Burma, not knowing that the allied forces are planning a daring commando raid through the jungle to destroy it."

I remember watching this movie with my dad.  I found the start of the movie slow, but it picked up during the last half of the movie.  I would probably give it a 6/10 on my movie scale, but it was an enjoyable watch.
Here is the trailer...

The next movie that I watched and loved was Awakenings on Netflix.  I loved it, but it was incredibly sad.  This movie stared Robin Williams and Robert De Niro, both of which will warm your heart. There are many other actors that you will recognize and who do a fantastic job in this movie. Here is the movie description...
 
"A new doctor finds himself with a ward full of catatonic patients. He is disturbed by them and the fact that they have been catatonic for decades with no hope of any cure. When he finds a possible chemical cure he gets permission to try it on one of them."

This movie is based on a true story that will break your heart.  If you want to learn more, check out this website.  As I watched the trailer, I wanted to watch the movie again.  This one is a 10/10 on my movie scale.


The last movie I watched this week was an oldie but goodie, The Mummy, on Hulu.  I remember watching this one when it first came out.  
Here is a blurb I found on the movie...

"As punishment for killing Pharaoh Seti and sleeping with his mistress, Egyptian priest Imhotep is cursed and mummified alive. But when treasure hunters Brendan Fraser, Oscar-winner Rachel Weisz, and Jonathan Hannah inadvertently stumble upon his tomb in 1923, the mummy is resurrected! Not since Indiana Jones has a tomb-raiding adventure been so scary, thrilling, and fun! Join adventurer Rick O'Connell and Egyptologist Evelyn Carnahan as they discover the lost city of Hamunaptra and struggle to save the world from unspeakable evil!"

What a great cast of characters.  Adventure, romance, humor, scary mummies, and other undead creatures.  A very enjoyable movie. I will give this a 9.5/10 on my movie scale.



That is it for my entertainment wrap-up through books, TV shows, and movies. 
What are you watching, reading, and listening to?
Have a great week!
KathieyV

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Weekend Reading Links and Video Links- How Much Should You Tip Your Food Delivery Person?