Wine Wednesday:What to Avoid if You Don't like High Acidic Citrus Wine

 I do enjoy a good glass of wine.  I believe everyone has a different version of what they think is good wine.  One flavor in wine that I do not like is a strong citrus flavor.  I found a site called Cards of Wine.  Cards of Wine break down the flavors, which may aid me in avoiding the higher citrus wines.  

There have been many occasions where I bought a wine that sounded very good.  In some of these cases, I later sampled the wine and found it too strong in citrus for me, and I could not even drink it, so, sadly, down the drain it went.

Here is a quote on Wine Acidity ...
Acidity is a wine’s “pucker” or tartness; it’s what makes a wine refreshing and your tongue salivate and want another sip.

I can take a little citrus flavor, but I simply can't drink it when it gets too intense.

On the wine cards, they say lemon, lime, and grapefruit contain a lot of acids.  Here are the wines they list in that category Chablis, Dry Riesling, Vermentino, Verdejo, Albarino, and Txakoli.

They talk of another category that is sweet citrus.  It makes sense to me that I would prefer this over the high acidic citrus wines.

Oranges, Mandarins, and Apricots fall into this category.  Rieslings or Chardonnays from warmer climates and Gewurztraminers are suggested to find these flavors.  If you want a wine that leans toward apricot, they suggest Tokaji. (I was just reading the Tokaji is very sweet so I probably would not like it)

I mostly love Chardonnay.  Every once in a while, I will have a Chardonnay that this way too acidic for me.  I did a blog post on Let's Talk About Chardonnay which talks about which ones lean more toward a more robust citrus flavor.  It seems I should get Chardonnay that grows in warmer climates.

I hope this helps in your quest to buy specific wines.  If you love or want to avoid the more acidic citrus flavors, you will have some basis of information.

Happy Wine, Sipping, Everyone!
KathieyV


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Weekend Reading Links and Video Links- How Much Should You Tip Your Food Delivery Person?