Wine Wednesday-Let's Talk About Chardonnay

 I enjoy a good Chardonnay.  Why, you ask?  Well, because it tastes good.  That's about as much description I can give. Let's get a few details about Chardonnay from Google.

For the most part, I enjoy a good Chardonnay.  Once in a while, I will encounter one I am not fond of.  I have found that some Chardonnays have little flavor, and I shy away from those, and some are a bit too citrusy for me.  I will try to understand the difference between the types of Chardonnays to make an educated decision when purchasing one. 

Here is what Wine Magazine says about Chardonnay

"Chardonnay can taste different, depending on where it grows and how it's made. But typically, Chardonnay is a dry, medium- to full-bodied wine with moderate acidity and alcohol. Its flavors range from apple and lemon to papaya and pineapple, and it also shows notes of vanilla when it's aged with oak"

I realize I will not like all Chardonnays as I look at that definition.  I love the apple, papaya, and pineapple flavors, but I shy away from a strong lemon taste. 

Unoaked vs. Oaked

Oaked Chardonnay is aged in oak barrels.  When a chardonnay is aged in oak rather than steel or plastic containers, it takes on flavors like vanilla, caramel, and butter.  It gets the butter flavor; the fermentation in the oak container produces lactic acid, usually found in milk; thus, you may get a buttery flavor.

Unoaked Chardonnay, also called a "naked chardonnay," produces a balanced and typically easily drinkable wine. Total wine describes it as "crisp, floral or fruity with fresh green apple or lemon notes."

So the big question, at least for me, is how do I determine which chardonnay has less citrus?  In the cooler climate, Chardonnays typically have more acidity and citrus flavors than in the warmer climate, which is primarily flavors of yellow peach, papaya, and pineapple and are less acidic.  

The warmer climate chardonnay is grown in much of Spain, Calif, and Southern Italy.   Chardonnay's cooler climate is from places like France and Oregon, and the list is very long.  Check out this link to read in more detail. I think I will stick with the Chardonnay from Calif for the time being. 

I hope this answers some of your Chardonnay questions.  I will compare an oaked vs. an unoaked in an upcoming tasting.  Next, I will taste a warm climate chardonnay and a cooler climate chardonnay to see the difference.
Happy Wine Sipping!
KathieyV


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Parties-Let's Plan a Party For July 2023-It's a Kids Party-A Teddy Bear Picnic