Travel-Vollis Simpson Whirligig Park in Wilson NC

 



A couple of weeks ago I found myself driving to Vollis Simpson Whirligig Park in Wilson North Carolina.  I had heard about this park several years ago and I have wanted to visit for some time.

It was a holiday weekend and I had no plans and the drive was just a bit over an hour so I decided to check it out.

From the website
"Wilson, North Carolina’s story has captivated the imagination of the country. Farm machinery repairman, Vollis Simpson, began making gigantic kinetic sculptures at his family farm in Wilson County when he was nearing retirement age. He kept making his “whirligigs”–seven days a week–until about six months before he dies at the age of 94 in May of 2013. By that time he was famous. The story of Wilson’s campaign to use the renowned whirligigs to recharge its downtown has catapulted the community into the national spotlight. Grants from ArtPlace America, the Kresge Foundation, and the National Endowment for the Arts have helped the project come close to its goal of opening the Vollis Simpson Whirligig Park and Museum".



According to the site, this is the world's largest collection of whirligigs.

For me, the visit was relaxing.  I had been upset the week that I went and a friend suggested I visit this exhibit.  I remember sitting on the bench, there was a nice breeze blowing which made the whirlygigs spin and turn.  The sound of the breeze and the whirlygigs response to that wind was both soothing and peaceful.  I was able to take a deep breath and just breathe which is what I needed.  

If you find yourself in the Wilson NC area check out the Whirlygig Park.  It is an amazing place.
Happy Travels and Adventures
Kathiey:-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Parties-Let's Plan a Party For July 2023-It's a Kids Party-A Teddy Bear Picnic