Five Book Reading Wrap-up




(There is an Amazon link to each book.  If you are interested in a bit more information, just click on the link.  I am an Amazon Affiliate.  If you click on the link and buy anything at all, I get a percent of the sale with no cost to you...thanks:-)
*********************************************************************************
Book 1 
"Watching You"
by Lisa Jewell

Genre: Thriller, Mystery, Fiction

Good Reads Rating-3.93/5
My Rating is 3.5/5

Overview I found on Amazon.
In Lisa Jewell’s latest “bone-chilling suspense” (People), no one is who they seem—and everyone has something to hide. Perfect for fans of Gillian Flynn and Ruth Ware, Watching You will keep you guessing as “Jewell teases out her twisty plot at just the right pace” (Booklist, starred review) until the startling revelations on the very last page.

From Good Reads
Melville Heights is one of the nicest neighborhoods in Bristol, England; home to doctors and lawyers and old-money academics. It’s not the sort of place where people are brutally murdered in their own kitchens. But it is the sort of place where everyone has a secret. And everyone is watching you.

 Quote
“But nothing was often everything in forensics. 
Nothing could often be the answer to the whole bloody thing.” 
― Lisa Jewell, Watching You

My Thoughts Before I Read the Book
I tend to like Lisa Jewell's books so I thought I would give this one a try.

My Thoughts After I Read the Book
In this book, you will find several people watching other people.  From the teenaged boy in the window watching the goings-on in the town and the pretty girls to an older man watching younger girls to a young woman infatuated with an older man and thus watching him.  In this seemingly perfect neighborhood, you will slowly find it is less perfect than it seems. 
The story starts off with a murder.  As the story progresses you will learn more about the murder victim's life and the one who killed her.  That is all I can say without giving it away.  There is a twist I did not see coming in the end.
My Final Thought
I enjoyed the book.  I did like the twist in the end.  It was a bit slow at times and that is why I gave it a 3.5/5.  I did enjoy reading it in the evening and I was curious about the characters in the book.

Book Trailer

Movie
I could not find any information on a movie based on this book.

*********************************************************************************
Book 2
Obsessed
by 
Allison Britz
"A memoir of my life with OCD"
Genre-Memoir, Non-Fiction, Mental Health
3.94 stars on Goodreads out of 5 stars
I would give this book 5/5
Amazon Link below...

             
Overview From Good Reads
A brave teen recounts her debilitating struggle with obsessive-compulsive disorder—and brings readers through every painful step as she finds her way to the other side—in this powerful and inspiring memoir.
Until sophomore year of high school, fifteen-year-old Allison Britz lived a comfortable life in an idyllic town. She was a dedicated student with tons of extracurricular activities, friends, and loving parents at home.

But after awakening from a vivid nightmare in which she was diagnosed with brain cancer, she was convinced the dream had been a warning. Allison believed that she must do something to stop the cancer in her dream from becoming a reality.

It started with avoiding sidewalk cracks and quickly grew to counting steps as loudly as possible. Over the following weeks, her brain listed more dangers and fixes. She had to avoid hair dryers, calculators, cell phones, computers, anything green, bananas, oatmeal, and most of her own clothing.

Unable to act “normal,” the once-popular Allison became an outcast. Her parents questioned her behavior, leading to explosive fights. When notebook paper, pencils, and most schoolbooks were declared dangerous to her health, her GPA imploded, along with her plans for the future.

Finally, she allowed herself to ask for help and was diagnosed with obsessive-compulsive disorder. This brave memoir tracks Allison’s descent and ultimately hopeful climb out of the depths.
(less)

Quote 
I don't have a particular quote.

My Thoughts Before Reading the Book
I know very little about OCD.  Sadly most of the information I have on the topic was the TV show Monk.  I wanted to know more.
My Thoughts After Reading the Book
In this book, you will take a ride in the life of a young teen that is developing OCD.  You will see how it started slowly for her and then everything seemed to blow up.  You will see how debilitating this mental health issue is and how it is based for the most part on fear.  Just awful how it can change a seemingly normal life and turn it completely upside down.  You will follow her as she develops OCD and the fear involved in this process and you too will see her as she comes to terms with it.  
I have some difficulty rating a memoir.  This one was so heartfelt and a story of someone trying to reclaim their life so how could I not give it a 5/5?  It is worth the read.
Is there a Movie or Book Trailer?
I could not find any information on a book trailer or a movie. but I did find this video.
********************************************************************************
Book 3
"Lights All Night Long"
Lydia Fitzpatrick
Genre- Fiction, Cultural, Coming of Age
3.93stars on Goodreads out of 5 stars
I gave this book a 1/5
Amazon Link Below....
 

Quote I Found on Good Reads
A gripping and deftly plotted narrative of family and belonging, Lights All Night Long is a dazzling debut novel from an acclaimed young writer 

"Lights All Night Long is utterly brilliant and completely captivating. . . . One of the most propulsive, un-put-downable literary novels I've read in ages."--Anthony Marra, author of A Constellation of Vital Phenomena 
Quote
I did not find a quote.

My Thoughts Before I Read the Book
I had received this book from a book box subscription and most of the books I receive from them I love.  I could not wait to get started.

My Thoughts After Reading the Book
This book was a DNF for me.  It was about a teen who arrived in America to reside with a host family.  He was from Russia and he was angry.  Not only was he angry he was crude in his descriptions of women and I could not get past that.  I read to around 80 pages and gave up the fight.  I don't like crude books.  I hope he went on to better his life but I guess I will never know.
One reader that reviewed the book states "Most books narrated by a teenage boy are crude so just prepare yourself for that. It didn't add to the story."  I just did not feel like taking that ride.

Book Trailer



*******************************************************************************
Book 4
"At The Wolf's Table"
by Rosella Postorino
Genre- Historical Fiction, Fiction, WWII,
3.54stars on GoodReads out of 5 stars.
I gave this one 2/5 stars.
Amazon Link Below....

Quote from Good Reads,
Germany, 1943: Twenty-six-year-old Rosa Sauer's parents are gone, and her husband Gregor is far away, fighting on the front lines of WWII. Impoverished and alone, she makes the fateful decision to leave war-torn Berlin to live with her in-laws in the countryside, thinking she'll find refuge there. But one morning, the SS come to tell her she has been conscripted to be one of Hitler's tasters: three times a day, she and nine other women go to his secret headquarters, the Wolf's Lair, to eat his meals before he does. Forced to eat what might kill them, the tasters begin to divide into The Fanatics, those loyal to Hitler, and the women like Rosa who insist they aren't Nazis, even as they risk their lives every day for Hitler's.
Quote
“The ability to adapt is human beings’ greatest resource, but the more I adapted, the less human I felt.” 
― Rosella Postorino, At the Wolf's Table

My Thoughts Before I Read the Book
I love historical fiction.  The premise of this book hooked me.  The fact that women were used to be tasters for Hitler in hopes that any poisoned food would not get past their table.  I was intrigued.

My Thoughts After Reading the Book
The first part of the book started out well.  We learned the story of many of the tasters and their experiences at The Wolf's Table.  It went downhill for me pretty quickly.  It was as if it went from historical fiction to fiction.  That fiction included affairs and infidelity.  Not my cup of tea.  I did not finish this book, I lost interest in the theme.
Is there a movie?
It sounds as if a movie may be in the works but I could not find specifics.

*******************************************************************************
Book 5 
"Tears of Salt"
by Pietro Bartolo and Lidia Tilotta
A Doctor's Story of the Refugee Crisis
Genre-Non-Fiction, Memoir, Medical, Biography, Social Issues
4.27 stars on Good Reads out of 5 stars
I give this book 5/5
Link to Amazon Below.....
 


Quote from the Book Jacket
Situated more than one hundred miles off Italy’s southern coast, the rocky island of Lampedusa has hit world headlines in recent years as the first port of call for hundreds of thousands of African and Middle Eastern refugees fleeing civil war and terrorism and hoping to make a new life in Europe. Dr. Pietro Bartolo, who runs the lone medical clinic on the island, has been caring for many of them—both the living and the dead—for a quarter-century.

Tears of Salt is Dr. Bartolo’s moving account of his life and work set against one of the signal crises of our time. With quiet dignity and an unshakable moral center, he tells unforgettable tales of pain and hope, stories of those who didn’t make it and those who did. Tears of Salt is a lasting work of literature and an intimate portrait of a remarkable man whose inspiring message rings clear: "We can’t and we won’t be governed by our fears."
Quote
“he opened his right hand, and let go of his son. He watched him disappear forever under the waves.” 
― Pietro Bartolo, Tears of Salt: A Doctor's Story

My thoughts before reading the book

When I read the book jacket I knew I wanted to read this book.  


My thoughts after reading the book
This book starts off reliving a painful event in the author's childhood.  In the book, you will learn about the life of the writer and his family.  You will learn how he came out of meager means into life as a Dr.  As a Dr. he finds himself on an island.  This is the island where the refugees come to seek a new life.  The Dr shares the stories of those he saved and those he could not save.  There are horrific stories of refugees and their fight for a better life. My heart broke as I read the stories of the refugees and also some of the painful moments of sacrifice in the life of the Dr. and his family.
Is there a movie?
I could not find a book trailer or any info on a movie

**************************************************************************
Check out my YouTube Video below





I would love to know what you are reading.  If you have read any of the above books did you enjoy them?  Drop me a note in the comment box.

Take care and happy reading!
KathieyV:-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Parties-Let's Plan a Party For July 2023-It's a Kids Party-A Teddy Bear Picnic