North Carolina Facts: Yes, There Are Pelicans in North Carolina!

I have always loved pelicans. As a child, my family would make trips down to Florida, and I would spend the whole drive with my face practically pressed against the car window searching for two things: palm trees and pelicans. The moment I spotted either one, I was absolutely thrilled.

So imagine my delight when I discovered that you don't have to travel all the way to Florida to see these magnificent birds!

Are there pelicans in North Carolina??

Are there pelicans in North Carolina?

Yes! And a couple of years ago, I had the most wonderful experience photographing them right on the coast at Harkers Island, NC. The images I captured of these beautiful birds are some of my favorites, and I am so excited to share that I am heading back in just a couple of weeks. I am hoping to come home with even more stunning photos of these amazing creatures.





The Two Types of Pelicans You Can Find in North Carolina

According to NC Audubon, North Carolina is home to two species of pelicans, and each one has its own personality and style.

The Brown Pelican is the star of the NC coast. Large, dramatic, and a permanent year-round resident, the Brown Pelican is hard to miss. They have a beautiful gray and brown body, a white head with a yellowish crown, and during breeding season the male's throat pouch turns a stunning bright red. These birds are famous for their plunge dives, dropping from heights of up to 60 feet to scoop up fish from the water. If you have ever watched them fly in synchronized lines just above the surf, it is one of those sights you simply do not forget.

Here are a few more facts about these incredible birds:

  • Their wingspan can exceed 6.5 feet.
  • There are an estimated 4,000 to 5,000 breeding pairs in North Carolina.
  • Pelicans are mostly silent, though they will click their beaks when defending their nests.
  • The oldest known Brown Pelican lived to be 43 years old.
  • Chicks still in the egg can actually communicate discomfort by squawking if they get too hot or too cold.
  • They are protected under the federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act, and maliciously harming one is a felony in North Carolina.

On my visit to Harkers Island, I spotted Brown Pelicans everywhere. They are truly magnificent to watch in person. I did not manage to spot any White Pelicans on that trip, but I am keeping my fingers crossed for this next visit!

The American White Pelican is a different bird entirely. Twice the size of the Brown Pelican, these birds are huge and strikingly beautiful with bright white feathers, black wingtips, and massive orange bills. They visit North Carolina primarily in winter, with rare sightings in summer. Unlike their diving cousins, White Pelicans prefer shallow lakes, rivers, and impoundments, and they forage while swimming, working together in groups to scoop up fish. It is a completely different hunting style, and equally fascinating to watch.




A Little Poem My Mom Loved

My mom adored pelicans, and she would often quote this poem by Dixon Lanier Merritt to me. She usually stopped after the first two lines, and honestly, as a kid, I thought that was the whole poem!

A wonderful bird is a pelican, His bill will hold more than his belican.

It was only later that I discovered there was a bit more to it:

He can take in his beak food enough for a week; But I'm damned if I see how the helican.

That always makes me smile. My mom had great taste.


So whether you are planning a trip to the Outer Banks, heading down to the Lower Cape Fear River, or just finding yourself anywhere along the North Carolina coast, keep your eyes open. Pelicans are out there, and they are absolutely worth stopping for.

As for me, I cannot wait to get back to Harkers Island in a couple of weeks and hopefully come home with a whole new collection of pelican photos to share with you all.

Happy Travels, everyone!

Kathiey V

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Places-Hiking A Linville Falls Trail in North Carolina.

Travel Blast From the Past-Linville Falls Winery in the Mountains of NC

Let's Get Cooking-The March Recipe Challenge. Let's Have Fun Cooking!