North Carolina Facts-Yes there are Pelicans in North Carolina!

 I have always liked pelicans.  As a child, I would go with my family to Florida.  I would search out the window for two things on our trip.  I would look for palm trees and pelicans. I would get so excited when I would see either.  So, the big question is...

Are there pelicans in North Carolina??


Yes, there are Pelicans in North Carolina, according to NC Audubon.  Here is a quote from their site.

In North Carolina, Brown Pelicans are found in coastal marine and estuarine waters. Most migrate south for the winter, but small numbers remain year-round, though severe cold snaps result in frostbite to their webbed feet and pouches. 

When Rocky and I were at the coast, I spent some time snapping a few photos of the pelicans.  




 Pelican Facts in North Carolina
  • Wingspan can be over 6.5 feet.
  • They can plunge into the water from heights of 60 feet.
  • They are found in coastal marine and estuarine waters.
  • Pelicans first recorded breeding ground was in Royal Shoal in 1929.
  • It is estimated there are 4,000-5,000 pairs of pelicans in NC.
  • Pelicans are mostly silent/although they click their beaks when defending their nests.
  • The oldest Brown Pelican is 43 years old.
  • Chicks in the egg can convey discomfort by squawking if they are too hot or cold.
  • White Pelicans are twice the size of the Brown Pelicans.
  • Maliciously maiming an animal is a felony in North Carolina, and pelicans are protected under the federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act.
According to Bird Watching HQ, there are two types of Pelicans in NC.  The Brown Pelican and the White Pelican.  I did not see any White Pelicans on my visit to the southern outer banks...Maybe I will next time.


My mom loved pelicans.  She would quote this poem by Dixon Lanier Merritt to me on many occasions.  She would only quote the first two lines. 
A wonderful bird is a pelican, 
His bill will hold more than his belican. 

I would later learn there was more to the poem...

He can take in his beak 
Food enough for a week; 
But I'm damned if I see how the helican.

So next time you find yourself on the coast of North Carolina, be sure and keep an eye out for pelicans.  They are amazing creatures!

Happy Travels, everyone!

KathieyV


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Weekend Reading Links and Video Links- How Much Should You Tip Your Food Delivery Person?