Wine-What the Heck is Honeysuckle Wine?

 I experienced a new type of wine recently, Honeysuckle wine, and I loved it.  The question is, "What the Heck is Honeysuckle Wine?

I don't know about you, but as I kid, I remember walking in the woods and seeing the honeysuckle bush in the distance.  I swear I could often smell the amazing aroma before I even saw the lovely flowers.  I would rush up to the plant, pick a flower, and pinch and gently pull the little green tip at the base of the flower.  I remember you had to pull it gently in order to get that one drop, if you were lucky, of that delicious nectar. Fun times!  Imagine my surprise when I came across a honeysuckle wine.  I could not wait to try it.

First off, what is honeysuckle?

Honeysuckle is an invasive plant with some of the most lovely, ephemeral flowers - 
their heavenly aroma lends itself nicely to this wine.

According to Southern Living, "Honeysuckle has long, tubular blooms that give off a sweet scent and come in shades of yellow, white, orange, and pink. They're a perfect planting if you'd like to attract hummingbirds, bees, and butterflies, as the tiny blooms are filled with nectar and draw garden visitors from near and far."

Culinary Uses For Honeysuckle

The flowers can be used for making teas, vinegars, jams, jellies and add interest to fruit curd.  Try making quince and honeysuckle or peach and honeysuckle curd.  The flowers can also be used for decorating cakes and desserts and for making country wine.

Lost Story 


I was visiting one of my new favorite wineries, WoodBine Vineyards.  They had Chardonel on the wine list, so I chose that as my drink of the day.  Rocky, on the other hand, decided to try the honeysuckle wine.  I liked my Chardonel a lot, but after tasting his honeysuckle wine, I knew what my next glass would be...it was delicious.


I have seen honeysuckle wine described anywhere from semi-sweet to a dessert wine.  I guess it all depends on what other items are added.  It would be up to the winemaker just how sweet or dry this wine becomes.

Here are a few facts about honeysuckle wine...

  • Honeysuckle extract may be added.
  • Honeysuckle blooms may be added.
  • Six cups of flowers will make a gallon, according to one wine maker.
  • Always remove the green tips.
  • The berries are not used because they are poisonous.
So yes, I thoroughly enjoyed my glass of Honeysuckle wine.  I even bought a bottle to take home.  I have to admit it did not last very long:-)



Happy wine-sipping, everyone!
KathieyV




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Weekend Reading Links and Video Links- How Much Should You Tip Your Food Delivery Person?