A Favorite Holiday Breakfast Recipe-Sausage Strata

You probably have a Holiday Breakfast dish you like to serve on Christmas morning. I have one too, and today I want to share my Sausage Strata Recipe. It is a breakfast sausage casserole that I have made every year on Christmas Eve for decades. It has become our traditional Christmas breakfast strata. 

I started making this recipe in 1981. My husband and I were moving to the Kansas City area. He was headed to seminary, and I was headed to nursing school. We stopped at my mom's brother's house in Ohio and spent the night with them on our long journey to Kansas. In the morning, Aunt Edna served us a make-ahead breakfast casserole. She actually made two. On the table in the morning were cheese strata and sausage strata, and both were delicious. That morning eating the strata that Aunt Edna lovingly prepared for us, we did not know the Sausage Strata would become the Christmas Breakfast Casserole recipe that we would make for decades.

For this recipe, you will need things like a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, pork sausage, shredded Swiss cheese, whole milk, half-n-half, large eggs, and Worcestershire sauce, just to mention a few. I like that you can make this easy Christmas Breakfast Casserole the night before and then pop this Christmas morning strata in the oven in the morning just in time for breakfast. This way, you can focus on the Christmas festivities and not worry about cooking on the holiday morning.

When I am making this recipe, I brown the sausage, breaking it into small pieces. I take the cooked sausage and place it on paper towels to drain. While it is cooking, I make the egg mixture. This is a layered dish, so I now have the layers for my strata lined up and ready, which include the egg mixture, the cooked sausage, and my shredded Swiss Cheese. I now head to the white bread. With the bread, you must trim the crust and then place one layer at the bottom of the baking dish. Then you layer according to the recipe. I have made this dish the night before and the day of Christmas, and each time, it is delicious.

Here is the recipe



Happy Cooking and Eating, Everyone, and I hope you had a merry Christmas!
Kathiey V






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Weekend Reading Links and Video Links- How Much Should You Tip Your Food Delivery Person?