My Five Book Reading Wrap-Up For September 2022

 Join me for my five-book reading wrap-up!

September 2022



Here is my Youtube Video



(There is an Amazon link to each book.  If you are interested in more information, click on the link.  I am an Amazon Affiliate.  If you click on the link and buy anything at all, I get a percentage of the sale at no cost to you...thanks:-)


*********************************************************************************
Book 1 
"Daisy Darker"
by Alice Feeney
Suspense, Mystery, Fiction, Thriller
Good Reads Rating 4.03stars out of five
My Rating is 4.5/5 stars



Here is the Amazon Link
   


Overview On GoodReads

After years of avoiding each other, Daisy Darker’s entire family is assembling for Nana’s 80th birthday party in Nana’s crumbling gothic house on a tiny tidal island. Finally back together one last time, when the tide comes in, they will be cut off from the rest of the world for eight hours.

The family arrives, each of them harboring secrets. Then at the stroke of midnight, as a storm rages, Nana is found dead. And an hour later, the next family member follows…

Trapped on an island where someone is killing them one by one, the Darkers must reckon with their present mystery as well as their past secrets, before the tide comes in and all is revealed.

With a wicked wink to Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were NoneDaisy Darker’s unforgettable twists will leave readers reeling.
 

Quote
“If you can’t find your way back to Happy, Navigate to the place you know as Less Sad.” 

My Thoughts After I Read the Book

What drew me to this book was that there was a Nana in the book.  I am a Nana too.  
The family comes together for Nana's 80th birthday.  A psychic has warned Nana that she will die when she is 80.  Well, Nana is found dead on her birthday, and more deaths will follow.  
This is a family drama in which you will begin to know their story and secrets.  There is murder, and the family members are afraid of who will be next.  The tension builds as more family members are found dead.  The big question is why this is happening and who is behind it.
Good story, it kept my interest the entire time.


Book Trailer/Movie
Here is the book trailer
I could not find anything on a movie.



The 5-star and 1-star reviews I found on Good Reads.

5 Star Review-"With an overarching sense of doom and danger lurking at every turn, Feeney has created something both entirely creepy and completely riveting. I couldn't put it down! A thrilling locked room mystery"

1 Star Review-"Truly awful. I could see the plot twists from the start and if I had know it was going to end the way it does - I wouldn’t have even started the book. I am so disappointed as I have enjoyed other books by this author … but this just didn’t cut it."

Me-I agree more with the 5-star review.  There did seem to be danger around every corner.  I totally disagree with the 1-star review.  

*********************************************************************************
Book 2
"The Secret Garden"
by  Frances Hodgson Burnett
I listened to this one on Audible
Classics, Fantasy, Magic
4.8 stars on Audible out of 5stars
I give this book 5/5




The Amazon link is below. Just click the photo.

  



Overview From Audible

Mary Lennox starts her life as an unhappy victim of circumstance. After the loss of her parents, she moves to rural Yorkshire to live with a distant uncle where she resents the wildness of the countryside. At first, she struggles to find a place in this new existence. Although unsure about her surroundings and its occupants, through the gentle guidance of the maid she gradually becomes interested in the story of Mrs Craven who apparently used to spend her time in a garden at the house, the key to which has vanished. Mary makes it her quest to find and explore the possibilities it holds. Her journey sees her change, befriending a host of loveable characters as the garden begins to cast its spell on her.
  
Quote 
I don't have a favorite quote.

My Thoughts After Reading the Book
This book is an absolute joy.
A young girl comes from India after the death of her parents to a Manor House in England.  The people she meets change not only her, but she changes them, and all of this is centered around a secret garden..  A delightful story.
Movie/Book Trailer
The actual book was written in 1911, so I knew there would not be a book trailer.  I knew there were several movies based on the book, so I went to Rotten tomatoes to see which one got the best Rating. It was a movie from 1993, and here is the trailer.



5-star and 1-star reviews I found on Goodreads.


5-Star Review-"An endearing heart-warming story creating a palpable nature-laden reality, edifying the magical powers of nature and gratefulness for being alive!
It professes the power of living and embracing the beauty around us."

1-Star Review-"I tried. I listened to three hours on audible. I just couldn't take one more minute of Miss Mary being contrary."

 Me-I agree more with the 5-star review.  This book made me smile!
********************************************************************************
Book 3
"Crime and Carpet Bags"
by Julie Berry
Audible Listen
Fantasy, Middle Grade, Historical Fiction
4.08 stars on Goodreads out of 5 stars
I gave this book a 3/5


Click the photo below to go to Amazon
 
 

Book overview as found on GoodReads
Now that Maeve Merritt has surrendered Mermeros, the djinni she found in a sardine can, she expects her life will be dull as dirt. Mermeros, however, has other plans. Maeve's friend Tommy, the former orphan, has been adopted by Mermeros's newest owner. When Tommy's father tries to use one of his wishes, he and Mermeros go missing--and without a guardian, Tommy will be forced back to the orphanage. Maeve, Tommy, and their best friend Alice embark on an adventure full of magic and danger to rescue Tommy's father and the djinni they've grown to love.

Book Quote
I don't have a favorite quote.

My Thoughts After Reading the Book
This is the second book in the series.  I enjoyed it as the story of Maeve and her friends and the genie she found in a sardine can continues.  I did not enjoy it as much as the first book, Wishes and Wellingtons, which I gave 4 stars.

Book Trailer or Movie
I could not find anything on a book trailer or a movie.


A Five and One Star Review as Found on Good Reads

Five Star Review-"Loveable characters you can't help but want to know better in a classic mystery style hunt involving good and selfish (slightly evil, but more egotistical) villains. A worthy sequel to the first book in the series. Magic and hijinks abound."

One Star Review- There were no one or even two star reviews. 

Me- Everyone liked it, and I did too.
*******************************************************************************
Book 4
"The Grand Hotel"
Audible Read
by Scott Kenemore
Horror, Fantasy, Fiction, Paranormal
3.57 stars on GoodReads out of 5 stars.
I gave this one 3.5/5 stars.


Amazon Link Below, just click on the photo...
 
 

Description as Found on GoodReads,
Welcome to the hotel where nobody can check out.

When a desk clerk welcomes a group of tourists into his mysterious and crumbling hotel, the last thing he ever expected was that one girl on the tour might hold the power to unravel the hidden mystery that lies in its walls.

The Grand Hotel is a horror novel by esteemed author Scott Kenemore ( Zen of Zombie, Zombie, Ohio) that takes the reader on a thrilling ride that interconnects a series of stories narrated by the desk clerk of the Grand Hotel. While it is not known whether or not the desk clerk is actually the devil reincarnated, it is strange that many of the people who come for a tour of the hotel never leave.

As the narrator takes you deeper and deeper into the heart of the hotel, he starts wondering if all the secrets that have been hiding for so long may soon start to show themselves. While he is quite ready for this experience, the real question is if the rest of the world is.

Kenemore’s incredible style and originality carry The Grand Hotelto places most people only see in their nightmares. And while we don’t know what secrets lie in the Grand Hotel, all we know is that the person who holds the secret puts fear into the narrator himself—a thought which will terrify everyone. 

A Quote 
I don't have a favorite quote. 

My Thoughts After Reading the Book
This book was interesting.  It is a story of a tour of an old hotel.  The tour guide takes the participants from room to room in the hotel, where the guests in each room tell their stories.   It is like any collection of short stories. You like some more than others. This book is basically a collection of spooky short stories. It was a fun ride.

Book Trailer/Movie

I could not find a book trailer or anything about a movie on this book.


A Five Star and A-One Star Review as Found on GoodReads

The Five Star Review- "Right up my alley for what I was in the mood for apparently. Like a collection of twilight zone or night gallery episodes, with a fun framework and legitimately excellent voice acting. Pulpy, fun, morbid, and sometimes surprising. Thoroughly enjoyable."

The One-Star Review-"Boring. This was a long book and I literally kept asking myself what the point of all the stories were. Nothing made sense until like the last 2 minutes of the book. Not worth the read. Not sure how this book got so many good reviews"

Me-I lean more toward the 5-star review.  Overall it is a pretty good read.
*******************************************************************************
Book 5 
"Saint Mazie"
by Jami Attenberg
Historical Fiction, Fiction, New York
3.65 out of 5 stars on Good Reads
I give this book 3/5
I DNF'd it.



Click on the photo below to go to amazon.
 


Book Description found on GoodReads.
Meet Mazie Phillips: big-hearted and bawdy, she's the truth-telling proprietress of The Venice, the famed New York City movie theater. It's the Jazz Age, with romance and booze aplenty--even when Prohibition kicks in--and Mazie never turns down a night on the town. But her high spirits mask a childhood rooted in poverty, and her diary, always close at hand, holds her dearest secrets.

When the Great Depression hits, Mazie's life is on the brink of transformation. Addicts and bums roam the Bowery; homelessness is rampant. If Mazie won't help them, then who? When she opens the doors of The Venice to those in need, this ticket-taking, fun-time girl becomes the beating heart of the Lower East Side, and in defining one neighborhood helps define the city.
Quote
I don't have a favorite quote.

My thoughts after reading the book
This was my library book of the month.  I found it pretty good.  I was interested in the family and the people they met along the way.  The history of things in New York at the time was also excellent.  It was just a bit too slow for me, and I got bored, so I DNF'd it.  Be warned, there are some hot and heavy scenes, so don't let that surprise you if you read this book. 

Book Trailer
I could not find an official book trailer or anything related to a movie on this book.



A Five and One Star Review as Found on Amazon
A Five-Star Review-" This book was absolutely beautiful. The novel's protagonist, Mazie Phillips-Gordon is a little spitfire. She's tough, spunky, feisty, loving, sentimental, and most of all - generous. Through Mazie's diary entries, we see the world through her eyes during the Great Depression (New York City). Mazie helps the homeless (mostly men) anyway she can. She's a kind-hearted soul and we also learn about her abusive childhood and her unhappy, controlling sister, Rosie and her free-spirit younger sister, Jeannie. Mazie might have a small, quiet life but her dedication to helping those less fortunate makes her entire existence have meaning on a larger scale. "Saint Mazie" will tug at your heartstrings. I loved Mazie's tender and unexpected friendship with a nun, Sister Tee. The title of the book is somewhat sarcastic but overall, Mazie is a good person but with some bad "habits" here and there. She is human after all. Humanity is alive and well. Enjoy!"

One-Star Review-"This library book, renewed once, just didn't grab me and make me look forward to opening it at the end of the day. It was easy to say "no more," and put it in the Return slot."

Me-I can't agree with either, so I will stick with 3 out of 5 stars.
        ***********************************************************************

I would love to know what you are reading. Have you read any of the above books? Did you enjoy them? Please drop me a note in the comment box.

Take care, and happy reading!

KathieyV:-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Weekend Reading Links and Video Links- How Much Should You Tip Your Food Delivery Person?