Entertainment Wrap-Up July 12, 2022

  A lot is going on in the entertainment area regarding books, TV, and movies.  

Here is what I have been watching and listening to lately. 


The YouTube Version



What am I reading?  

I finished Bellevue last week. It was an excellent non-fiction book about Bellevue through the ages. You will hear more on my reading wrap-up which will be coming on soon. I have decided to give it a 4.5 on my reading scale out of 5.

I am still reading Fable, and I am enjoying it. Fable is a young adult novel about pirates and adventure. Fable is a 17-year-old girl. She was raised on the sea with her mother and father. In an awful twist of fate, a storm arises that sinks their ship. Her mother dies, and she is left with her father, who abandons her on a dangerous island with thieves and very little food. She feels it is her mission to find him. I would say I am about 3/4 of the way through.

I am listening to "my grandmother asked me to tell you she's sorry" by Fredrik Backman. I have read Anxious People and a Man Called Ove by the same author, and I loved both. He has a way of taking interesting characters you may not even like and making you love them. This book starts off with an irreverent, in a good way, grandmom. She and her granddaughter are very close, and as she nears the end of her life, she gives her granddaughter a mission. I remember trying to read this book a while ago, but I could not get into it. Now I am listening to it and am interested in what will happen, but I am struggling to keep going.

What Am I Watching?

I still consistently watch Master Chef, The Tonight Show, and America's Got Talent. I am slowly watching The Old Man.  



The new show in which I quickly finished the first season is called Night Sky. It is excellent.  I love the main characters. It stars Sissy Spacek and J K Simmons. It begins pretty slow but builds up as the show progresses. I would put it in the genre of Sci-Fi. It starts with an older couple who have found a secret chamber in their backyard that can transport them to another planet, but it is so much more than that. I give it a very high score. Sadly, they have not decided if there will be a second season; if there is one, it won't air until 2023. All I have to say is I will be very disappointed if there is not a season 2.


The other show I enjoyed was The Outlaws on Amazon Prime. When I think Outlaws, my mind goes to the wild west, but this is not a western.

Here is a description from Amazon

"Seven strangers begin Community Payback sentences, renovating a derelict building in Bristol. But a criminal mistake will unite these people in ways they had thought impossible."

I would call this a comedy-drama. It is mildly off-color at times, but if I can handle it, most people can. It is a great cast that comes together while doing their time in community service. The first season is out, and the results I could find on season 2 are vague. It sounds as if it may be out this summer.



We are in the 4th season of Stranger Things. If you have not watched it, I would suggest starting at the beginning. I just finished season 4 and found myself holding my breath during a lot of the show.  Great show and very intense.   I was just reading season 5; the final season has not been filmed yet.  They better get to work:-)

I did watch The Lost City with Sandra Bullock and Channing Tatum.  It also had Daniel Radcliff as the bad guy in the movie.  It was funny and silly and worth the watch.  On my movie scale, I would give it a 6.5 out of 10.


I went to the movies last night and saw Elvis.  This is a very long movie, and at times it felt long.  Overall it is very good.   I was a baby when Elvis was at the height of his popularity, but I still knew who he was, and I liked a lot of his music. 

Elvis was a civil rights activist in his own right. He loved the African American music of that time and was friends with many black people, which was frowned upon at that time. He was criticized for his style of music. His life was not how he planned it would be. Some of his heartbreak was from his own choices, and some were forced upon him.   I found the story painful.  I  did enjoy the music from the movie. The history of the times shown during Elvis's life reminds us of some unfortunate events from our past. 

The part of the movie that left me teary-eyed was the video of the real Elvis singing one of his last songs before he died.  So sad.   

Moral of the story-Be careful who you trust!

I heard a song I liked on The tonight Show this week...


That is it for my week of entertainment through books, TV shows, and movies. 
What are you watching, reading, and listening to?
Have a great week!
KathieyV

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Weekend Reading Links and Video Links- How Much Should You Tip Your Food Delivery Person?