Wine Wednesday-What is Orange Wine?

Recently I have heard the term Orange Wine or Skin Contact Wine.   

What is it you ask?  I don't know let's find out.

 I assumed Orange Wine was made from oranges, but that is not the case.  I found in my research that Orange Wine dates back thousands of years and has come and gone as far as popularity.  It seems in the last 20 years, according to Eat Italy, orange wine is making a resurgence.

"What is an Orange Wine? It’s a type of white wine made by leaving the grape skins and seeds in contact with the juice, creating a deep orange-hued finished product." Wine Folly


Orange wine is made from white grapes, and it is all-natural with no coloring or additives added. It is different because it is fermented with the seeds and skins intact.  Because the skins are intact, the wine takes on a more tannic flavor and deeper color.

Here is what Unusual Wines has to say about the taste of Orange Wine...

Generally, orange wines are described as being robust and full-bodied with a great depth of flavor like a red wine and the refreshing qualities of a white wine.

Common tasting notes include: 
Bruised fruit
Jackfruit
Savory flavors like hazelnut
Fruit beer
Apricot
Some orange wines are also known to be so intense in flavor 
they can only be enjoyed in very small quantities.

After reading about the flavors listed by Unusual Wine would I like to taste orange wine? Well, of course, I would love to try a new wine.  I am not too excited about the bruised fruit flavor or the intense flavor but hand me a glass and I will give it a try.

Have you tried Orange Wine?  If so, what did you think?
Happy Wine Tasting Everyone!
KathieyV

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Parties-Let's Plan a Party For July 2023-It's a Kids Party-A Teddy Bear Picnic