Removing a Cork From a Wine Bottle-The Saber/Sword Technique

 What are some odd ways to remove the cork from a wine bottle?  I recently did a post on this very thing, "5 Ways to Open a Wine Bottle Without a Corkscrew".  I did omit the "Sabrage" technique because I knew it could be dangerous, at least for me.  What is that, you ask?  The Sabrage technique is a way to open a champagne bottle using a saber or a sword.


History-From my reading, it seems that the history of wine sabering is disputed.  The basic conclusion is that it began in France in the early 1800s during the Napoleonic Wars.  The soldiers would celebrate their victories with champagne.  The easiest way for them to open the bottle was with what they had handy: their swords/sabers. 

I recently went to a wine class.  In this particular class, they were discussing champagne.  Before we did the tasting a very nice man took the stage with his bottle of champagne and a sword.  He proceeded to show us how to "Sabrage" a bottle of champagne.


Sabrage is just one way I would not be opening my wine bottle.  Although my Mom always said, "Never say Never". I guess if I was stuck in a mountain cabin and all I had was a wine bottle and a saber that I may be desperate enough to give it a try.  Hopefully, the cabin has a corkscrew!
If you are interested in attempting this technique I suggest you check out YouTube for a tutorial. 

Happy Wine Tasting Everyone!
KathieyV
I had to look on Amazon to see if they sold wine sabers and yes they do.  Here is just a couple that I liked.  I will not be buying one because I will not be sabering my wine.  I can see doing this for a fancy celebration.
(I am an Amazon Affiliate and if you buy anything using my link I will get a percent of the sale with no added cost to you.  Thanks for your help:-)
Click on the photo below to go to the site...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Weekend Reading Links and Video Links- How Much Should You Tip Your Food Delivery Person?