Five Book Reading Wrap-Up for December 2021

 

                      Join me for my five-book reading wrap-up!

                                                 Dec 2021


Here is my Youtube Video



(There is an Amazon link to each book.  If you are interested in more information, click on the link.  I am an Amazon Affiliate.  If you click on the link and buy anything at all, I get a percent of the sale at no cost to you...thanks:-)

*********************************************************************************
Book 1 
"Educated"
by Tara Westover
Non-Fiction, Memoir, Biography

Good Reads Rating is 4.46
My Rating is 5/5 stars
                                              (click photo below to go to Amazon)


Overview I found on GoodReads.
Tara Westover was 17 the first time she set foot in a classroom.  Born to survivalists in the mountains of Idaho, she prepared for the end of the world by stockpiling home-canned peaches and sleeping with her "head-for-the-hills bag."  In the summer she stewed herbs for her mother, a midwife and healer, and in the winter she salvaged in her father's junkyard.

Her father forbade hospitals, so Tara never saw a doctor or nurse.  Gashes and concussions, even burns from explosions, were all treated at home with herbalism.  The family was so isolated from mainstream society that there was no one to ensure the children received an education and no one to intervene when one of Tara's older brothers became violent.

Then, lacking any formal education, Tara began to educate herself.  She taught herself enough mathematics and grammar to be admitted to Brigham Young University, where she studied history, learning for the first time about important world events like the Holocaust and the civil rights movement.  Her quest for knowledge transformed her, taking her over oceans and across continents, to Harvard and to Cambridge.  Only then would she wonder if she'd traveled too far, if there was still a way home.

Educated is an account of the struggle for self-invention.  It is a tale of fierce family loyalty and of the grief that comes with severing the closest of ties.  With the acute insight that distinguishes all great writers, Westover has crafted a universal coming-of-age story that gets to the heart of what an education is and what it offers: the perspective to see one's life through new eyes and the will to change it.
 
 Quote
"It's strange how you give the people you love so much power over you."


My Thoughts After I Read the Book
This book is a memoir written from the perspective of the woman who lived it.  She was raised in a home that was essentially cut off from the world.  The kids did not go to school, and the only reality they knew was the one their misguided father and mother taught them.
This book made me angry at times.  I was angry with the father for how he would treat his children.  I was mad at the mother for putting up with how they lived.  I was mad at the abusive brother and nearly everyone who turned a blind eye to his abuse.  At times, I was angry with the child who accepted this treatment even as she neared adulthood. 
I was also inspired by this book.  Many of the children were somehow able to move on to have successful, productive lives even after this horrible abuse.  This took sheer determination and made me feel like nearly anything is possible based on their lives.

My Final Thought
Good but painful book.  It is worth the read.

Book Trailer/Movie

There seems to be talk of movie rights, but I could not find anything specific.

A 5-star and -star review I found on Amazon.
Five-star review-"Masterpiece.  Starts off slowly but definitely worth it."

One-Star Review-"I wish I had not read this book.  It is filled with violence and ignorance and hopelessness.  It reminds me of The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls, which left me with the same terrible empty feeling in my gut.  Other people seemed to enjoy that memoir; maybe those are the kind of people who will like this one."

Of the two reviews, I do lean more toward the five-star review.  I understand the one-star review because it leaves you feeling empty, and I will add helpless at times in the face of abuse and neglect.
*********************************************************************************
Book 2
"The Last House on Needless Street"
by Catriona Ward
Genre- Horror, Thriller, Mystery, Crime
3.94 stars on Goodreads out of 5 stars
I give this book 4.5/5


The Amazon link is below.  Just click the photo.
 
 
Overview From Good Reads
Catriona Ward's The Last House on Needless Street is a shocking and immersive read perfect for fans of Gone Girl and The Haunting of Hill House.
In a boarded-up house on a dead-end street at the edge of the wild Washington woods lives a family of three.  A teenage girl who isn't allowed outside, not after last time.  A man who drinks alone in front of his TV, trying to ignore the gaps in his memory.  And a house cat who loves napping and reading the Bible.
An unspeakable secret binds them together, but when a new neighbor moves in next door, what is buried out among the birch trees may come back to haunt them all.

Quote 
"The young feel pain intensely, I think, because they don't know yet how deep it can go." 

 My Thoughts After Reading the Book
I remember when I first started listening to this book.  I found myself confused.  It was written in the voice of an adult male named Ted, but at times, this man sounded like a child.  So even initially, I was perplexed.
This book is written from many points of view.  That of a man named Ted, his cat named Olivia, Ted's daughter called Lauren, and an outsider named Dee who is desperately searching for her sister who disappeared many years ago. 
For me, this book was peeled as if in layers.  Total confusion at the beginning, but it all began to make sense as the layers were revealed.
I don't want to tell you too much, so I will just tell you there is a bit of surprise as you continue to read.  If you read this book and get toward the end, it will all make sense.  I enjoyed this book.  I listened to this on Audible, but I am thinking about buying this for my library.

Is there a Movie or Book Trailer?

I could not find a book trailer.  I did find there is a movie deal, and I can't wait till it comes out!


 A 5-star and 1-star review I found on Amazon.

5-Star  Review-The Last House on Needless Street is one of those extraordinary books that tell a compelling story through the constant haze of uncertainty, with a gripping dark psychological intensity and fascinating characters that are cleverly blended with beautiful writing. 
1-Star Review-If you're willing to endure 200 pages of confusion for an okay plot twist, then knock yourself out

I must say I lean more toward the 5-star review.  It is dark and sad and oddly fascinating. 

********************************************************************************
Book 3
"A Noel Killing"
by M.L. Longworth
Genre-Mystery, Fiction, Holiday, Thriller, France
3.91stars on Goodreads out of 5 stars
I  gave this book a 2/5


Click the photo below for the Amazon Link...

  

Book overview as found on GoodReads
Christmastime in the south of France is as beautiful as ever, but when a shady local businessman drops dead in the middle of the festivities, Verlaque and Bonnet must solve the case while keeping the holiday spirit alive.
Just as the holiday cheer is in full swing, a man is poisoned, sending the community into a tailspin.  The list of suspects, Verlaque and Bonnet quickly discover, almost fills the church itself, from the visiting vendors at the Christmas fair to the victim's unhappy wife and his disgruntled business partner.  In A Noël Killing, with the help of an ever-watchful young woman named France, the pair must solve the murder while the spirit of the season attempts to warm Verlaque's stubborn heart.
Book Quote
I don't have a favorite quote.


My Thoughts After Reading the Book

I DNF'd this book.  There were parts in the book that I enjoyed.  I liked the food descriptions, and I liked some of the characters.  I enjoyed the Christmas Market and the Church.  What was difficult for me to follow were the french terms that were used as though I should know what they meant, and I didn't.  The names of the people were confusing to me because the names were so foreign that I could not keep track of who was who.


Book Trailer or Movie
I could not find a book trailer or a movie related to this book.

A Five and One Star Review as Found on Amazon
Five Star Review-"So warm and fuzzy, as most cozy mysteries are.  But this serves up murder with a light vinaigrette and a glass of pastis as one does when one is in the south of France.  Bien sur, murder is a nasty business but second only to the cassoulet being served!"

One Star Review- "This book could have benefited from another rewrite or two.  It didn't make any sense, to start, and it grew more nonsensical as it continued, disappointingly, drawing upon caricatures of criminals and ducking into safe corners on obscure local trivia and food to fill in the weak plot line"

I guess I lean more toward the one-star review, but I also believe it could have been a warm and fuzzy cozy mystery for me if I had not been confused by the French language and the odd names.  I wanted to like it.



*******************************************************************************
Book 4
"Nightbooks"
by J.A. White
Genre- Fiction, Middle Grade, Horror, Fantasy
4.01 stars on GoodReads out of 5 stars.
I gave this one 4/5 stars.



Amazon Link Below, just click on the photo...


Description as Found on GoodReads,
A boy is imprisoned by a witch and must tell her a new scary story each night to stay alive.  This thrilling contemporary fantasy from J. A. White, the acclaimed author of the Thickety series, brings to life the magic and craft of storytelling.

Alex's original hair-raising tales are the only thing keeping the witch Natacha happy, but soon he'll run out of pages to read from and be trapped forever. He's loved scary stories his whole life, and he knows most don't have a happily ever after.  Now that Alex is trapped in a true terrifying tale, he's desperate for a different ending—and a way out of this twisted place.



A Quote I Like
"Of course, if he accepted what the woman had said at face value, that meant the apartment was capable of reading children's minds in order to lure them with the appropriate bait.  Like a smarter version of the candy house in "Hansel and Gretel," Alex thought.  In my case, a scary movie did the trick."


My Thoughts After Reading the Book
Alex viewed himself as different from the others kids, and he seemed to really worry about this.  What made him different was that he loved scary movies and writing scary stories.  Alex thought destroying his writings may help him to be more accepted.   So, he snuck out of his apartment in the middle of the night.  He was headed to the furnace to burn his stories.   As he was walking down the hallway, he was lured by the sound of his favorite movie.  He could not help but follow the sounds and found himself trapped by a witch in a place where there seemed to be no escape.  Little did he know his ability to create his stories would become his gift and his salvation.
I enjoyed this book.  I liked Alex and the friends he met along the way.  I also liked the cat, who always seemed to be watching.
This is an excellent middle-grade book.

Book Trailer


Is there a movie?

Yes, there is one on Netflix.  I was so excited to find out about this. 

 I will watch it ASAP.  Here is the movie trailer.

Well, I tried to watch the movie.  I could not get into it.  Once you read the book and know all the details left out of the film, you lose interest.  That is what happened to me.  I DNF'd the movie at about halfway through.

A Five and One Star Review as Found on GoodReads

A Five-Star Review-"It has been a long time since I read a middle book that I enjoyed as much as I enjoyed this book.  This book has witches, magic, a wonderful kitty familiar, creepy crawlies, monstrous unicorns, fairy tales, scary stories, friendship, candy houses, it has everything."

A One-Star Review-I could not find any written one-star reviews.

I agree entirely with the five-star reviews.  This book is filled with a lot of fun stuff.
*******************************************************************************
Book 5 
"The Exiles"
by Christina Baker Kline
Genre-Historical Fiction, Australia, Fiction, 
4.15 out of 5 stars on Good Reads
I give this book 4/5



Click on the photo below to go to amazon.



Book Description from GoodReads
Seduced by her employer's son, Evangeline, a naïve young governess in early nineteenth-century London, is discharged when her pregnancy is discovered and sent to the notorious Newgate Prison.  After months in the fetid, overcrowded jail, she learns she is sentenced to "the land beyond the seas," Van Diemen's Land, a penal colony in Australia.  Though uncertain of what awaits, Evangeline knows one thing: the child she carries will be born on the months-long voyage to this distant land.
Though Australia has been home to Aboriginal people for more than 50,000 years, the British government in the 1840s considers its fledgling colony uninhabited and unsettled, and views the natives as an unpleasant nuisance.  By the time the Medea arrives, many of them have been forcibly relocated, their land seized by white colonists.  One of these relocated people is Mathinna, the orphaned daughter of the Chief of the Lowreenne tribe, who has been adopted by the new governor of Van Diemen's Land.
In this gorgeous novel, Christina Baker Kline brilliantly recreates the beginnings of a new society in a beautiful and challenging land, telling the story of Australia from a fresh perspective, through the experiences of Evangeline, Hazel, and Mathinna. While life in Australia is punishing and often brutally unfair, it is also, for some, an opportunity: for redemption, for a new way of life, for unimagined freedom.  Told in exquisite detail and incisive prose, The Exiles is a story of grace born from hardship, the unbreakable bonds of female friendships, and the unfettering of legacy.


Quote
"A trick to play in your mind when your troubled.  You think of yourself as a tree, with all the rings inside.  And every ring is someone you care about, or a place you've been.  You carry them with you wherever you go." 



My thoughts after reading the book

This book starts out with a woman, Evangeline, in love.  She trusted her love to a man she thought loved her, which was her downfall.  She trusted someone she should have not and ended up pregnant in prison and eventually ship-bound for jail in Australia.
The parallel storyline focuses on an Aboriginal girl named Mathinna.  The British government views the Aboriginal people as less than human, and this perception allows Mathinna to be taken from her people and placed in a governor's house.
This book speaks of the injustice and difficulties Evangeline and her friends and Mathinna faced.  You learn of the conditions encountered in the prisons and the ships that met the prisoners aboard the ship to Australia.
I found this book to be informative and sad yet inspirational.  The inspiration came in the form of determination in the face of defeat and the strength and hope found in friendships.



Book Trailer



 I could not find anything related to movie on this book.

A Five and One Star Review as Found on Amazon
A Five-Star Review-"This novel follows several brave and inspiring women on a journey that weaves their lives together in unexpected ways. It is a story about the strength, determination and endless drive found deep within a woman’s soul. It is a powerful depiction of how women hold each other up in this world."


One-Star Review-"It was too much of a punch in the gut for me. I enjoyed it until about halfway through when I just couldn't continue. May not be the best book for new moms to read."

Although I lean more toward the 5-star review, I understand both thoughts.  Yes, it was sad in many ways, but it was also inspiring.  




**  *********************************************************************

I would love to know what you are reading.  If you have read any of the above books, did you enjoy them?  Please drop me a note in the comment box.

Take care and happy reading!

                                                                          KathieyV:-)     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Weekend Reading Links and Video Links- How Much Should You Tip Your Food Delivery Person?