16 Ways to Make Your Home Smell Amazing- Here is What Not Do!

 I would love for my home to smell nice.  I want it to smell clean and fresh, with maybe a hint of a seasonal scent wafting through the air. Well, I was reading an article on the 14 Things People With Nice-Smelling Homes Never Do that I found on a site called Apartment Therapy.  

Here is her list and my success or failure with each one.

1-Don't forget to clean out the fridge. I do a fair job with this one.  I try to get rid of old or expired items each week on trash day.  I clean the shelves probably every two months or so.  I don't have a true schedule for this practice. 

2-Never leave the bed sheets on too long.  This I do a good job with.  I change my sheets once a week.  I love the feel of clean, smooth sheets.

3-They don't wash kitchen towels without bleach or bleach alternatives.  I fail at that. I just use regular detergent.  

4-They don't leave wet laundry in the washer for more than a day.  Ninety percent of the time, I put it in the dryer the same day I wash them or the next day.  If any longer than that, I start again, and I rewash the laundry.

5-They never forget to unclog a drain.  I do my best to unclog my drains, but I am currently having trouble with two drains, and I plan to schedule a plumber soon. 

6 and 7-They don't let anyone smoke in the house and don't leave kitty litter unattended.  That is not a problem for me because I am not a smoker and don't have any friends who smoke.  I don't own a cat, so this is not a problem for me either.

8 and 9-They don't put food in the kitchen trash can, and they don't store restaurant food in restaurant containers. I am guilty of both. I will try to do better.

10-They don't leave things wet, such as dishes in the sink and wet countertops.  I dry my countertops, but I am bad about leaving some things in the sink for a few hours but not for long periods.

11-They don't let trash overflow.  I have been guilty of letting my kitchen trash can get a bit too full.  The trash can is pretty small.  Maybe I need to think about getting a larger can.

12-They don't go too long without opening the windows.  Here in NC, it is sweltering and humid during the summer months.  In the summer, I rarely, if ever, open my windows.  During the rest of the year, I gladly open my back porch doors and windows to let a bit of fresh air in.

13-They don't close the washer door right away.  This has something to do with humidity and the need to dry things out.  I am guilty of this. I close the door immediately after the wash is done.  I will change this practice.

14-They don't leave their wet towel hanging in the bathroom.  They suggest you hang it somewhere else to keep your bathroom smelling fresh.  I have a laundry basket in my bathroom where I put my used towels. I am sure that is a problem too. I just need to make sure I don't let the towels pile up and that I wash them frequently.

I will add two of my own

1-Don't put your grandchild's dirty diaper in the kitchen trash can or anywhere else in the house, for that matter.  When I am taking care of my young grandchildren and we have a diaper change, that diaper goes directly outside to the trash bin.

2-Don't put off bathing your dog.  It is difficult now to get my dog Brodie to the groomer.  Brodie is having age-related issues and is a bit unsure on his feet now.  I have ordered steps and a harness to help him get in and out of the car.  I need to get him back to the groomers ASAP.

This is part one of a two-part series.  Next week we will talk about specific ways to make your house smell amazing!

If you have any do's or don'ts for keeping your house scent amazing, I would love to know.  Put any suggestions in the comment box.

Thanks and have a great day!

Kathiey V.

              

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Parties-Let's Plan a Party For July 2023-It's a Kids Party-A Teddy Bear Picnic