Books-Five Book Reading Wrap-Up August 2021

 Join me for my five-book reading wrap-up!





Here is my Youtube Video






(There is an Amazon link to each book.  If you are interested in a bit more information, click on the link.  I am an Amazon Affiliate.  If you click on the link and buy anything at all, I get a percent of the sale at no cost to you...thanks:-)
*********************************************************************************
Book 1 
"The Haunted"
by Bentley Little
Genre-Horror, Fiction, Paranormal

Audible Rating-4.1/5
My Rating is 1/5
I DNF'd it.

(click photo below to go to Amazon)


Overview I found on GoodReads.
The Perry family's new house is perfect except for the weird behavior of the neighbors, and that odd smell coming from a dark corner in the basement. Pity no one warned the family about the house. Now it's too late. Because the darkness at the bottom of the basement stairs is rising. 
 Quote
I don't have a quote.

My Thoughts Before I Read the Book
I love scary haunted house stories and it was included in the Audible price so I thought "why not give it a try".
My Thoughts After I Read the Book
I can sum this book up, at least what I read of it, in my GoodReads review.  
"I had to DNF this book it was too crude and too nasty for me. If you don’t enjoy sexual crudeness then don’t get this book. It was fine and interesting until the nastiness began"
I found a review on Audible that is similar to mine...
"It’s like a pedophile wrote this book. "
 
My Final Thought
I don't even want to talk about this book anymore.  I don't recommend it.

Book Trailer/Movie
I could not find a book trailer but I found a YouTube Review.

*********************************************************************************
Book 2
"Wishes and Wellingtons"
by 
 Julie Berry
Genre- Fantasy, Middle Grade, Children's, Fiction, Historical Fiction
3.89stars on Goodreads out of 5 stars
I give this book 4/5

The Amazon link is below. Just click the photo.


Overview From Good Reads
Maeve Merritt chafes at the rigid rules at her London boarding school for "Upright Young Ladies." When punishment forces her to sort through the trash, she finds a sardine tin that houses a foul-tempered djinni with no intention of submitting to a schoolgirl as his master.

Soon an orphan boy from the charitable home next door, a mysterious tall man in ginger whiskers, a disgruntled school worker, and a take-no-prisoners business tycoon are in hot pursuit of Maeve and her magical discovery. It'll take all of her quick thinking and sass to set matters right.
Quote 
I don't have a quote.
My Thoughts Before Reading the Book
I wanted a good audiobook to listen to as I did some household chores, and this one sounded good.  I liked the cover with the three children flying with a huge green man over historical London.  It was fun and lighthearted. 
  My Thoughts After Reading the Book
  The storyline centered around Maeve, a girl attending a boarding school in London.  Maeve seemed to get in trouble much of the time, and one day when she was on punishment, she found a sardine can, and in that can, she found a hidden surprise...a genie.  You meet Maeve's friends, family, and the genie in all his grumpy glory.  
Maeve struggles to know how to spend her three wishes.  You will follow her and her friends as she does her best to use her wishes wisely, and you will see the outcome, not only on herself but on others, of the wishes she does make. 

My Thoughts After Reading the Book

This was a fun, and attention-grabbing audible listen.  I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I could not wait to see what wishes Maeve made and how they affected her life.  I would recommend this book.

Is there a Movie or Book Trailer?
Here is the book trailer...
I could not find anything on a movie.

********************************************************************************
Book 3
"The House in the Cerulean Sea"
by T J Klune
Genre-Adult, Fantasy, Fiction, LGBQ,
4.50 stars on Goodreads out of 5 stars
I gave this book a 4/5




Click the photo below for the Amazon Link...

Book overview as found on GoodReads
A magical island. A dangerous task. A burning secret.

Linus Baker leads a quiet, solitary life. At forty, he lives in a tiny house with a devious cat and his old records. As a Case Worker at the Department in Charge Of Magical Youth, he spends his days overseeing the well-being of children in government-sanctioned orphanages.

When Linus is unexpectedly summoned by Extremely Upper Management he's given a curious and highly classified assignment: travel to Marsyas Island Orphanage, where six dangerous children reside: a gnome, a sprite, a wyvern, an unidentifiable green blob, a were-Pomeranian, and the Antichrist. Linus must set aside his fears and determine whether or not they’re likely to bring about the end of days.

But the children aren’t the only secret the island keeps. Their caretaker is the charming and enigmatic Arthur Parnassus, who will do anything to keep his wards safe. As Arthur and Linus grow closer, long-held secrets are exposed, and Linus must make a choice: destroy a home or watch the world burn.

An enchanting story, masterfully told, The House in the Cerulean Sea is about the profound experience of discovering an unlikely family in an unexpected place—and realizing that family is yours.

Book Quote
“Regardless of what else he is, he is still a child, as they all are. And don’t all children deserve to be protected? To be loved and nurtured so that they may grow and shape the world to make it a better place? In that way, they are no different than any other child in the village or beyond. But they’re told they are, by people such as yourselves, and people who govern them and our world. People who put rules and restrictions in place to keep them separated and isolated. I don’t know what it will take to change that if anything. But it won’t start at the top. It’ll start with us.” 
― T.J. Klune, The House in the Cerulean Sea

My Thoughts Before I Read the Book

I had heard nothing but positive reviews on YouTube.  I was told it was a heartwarming, positive book that everyone should read, so I picked it up at a local book store.


My Thoughts After Reading the Book

This was a fun book with a great message.  I guess that message, in a nutshell, is acceptance.  The magical characters in this book are unique and, for the most part, likable.  

The main protagonist in the story is a man named Linus, who works for the Department in Charge of Magical Youth.  His job is to visit homes/schools for orphaned magical youth to ensure the school is safe and the children are being cared for.  Linus is methodical and somewhat aloof in his visits until he visits the House in the Cerulean Sea when his life begins to change.

The cast of magical children and their caretakers are endearing.  They all have their quirks and charms. 

There are challenges in this book that must be overcome, and Linus is at the heart of all the actions.   

I guess the lesson I came away with is that just because a child or person has expectations placed on them because of who they are does not mean they have to become that person.  For example just because someone has labeled you a bad person you do not have to become that person.

 The romance is subtle and not graphic. 



Book Trailer or Movie
I could not find a book trailer.  I also could not find a movie in the works for this book but I think it would make a great movie!

*******************************************************************************
Book 4
"For Whom The Book Tolls"
by Laura Gail Black
Genre- Mystery, Cozy Mystery, Crime, Adult Fiction
3.98 stars on GoodReads out of 5 stars.
I gave this one 4/5 stars.




Amazon Link Below, just click on the photo...

Description as Found on GoodReads,
Trouble follows Jenna Quinn wherever she goes. Fleeing some unsavory doings in her hometown of Charlotte, Jenna accepts her uncle's gracious invitation to stay with him in small-town Hokes Folly, NC. In exchange, she'll help him out in his antiquarian bookstore. But soon after she arrives, Jenna finds her uncle's body crumpled at the base of the staircase between his apartment and the bookstore.

Before the tragedy even sinks in, Jenna learns that she's inherited almost everything her uncle owned: the store and apartment, as well as his not-so-meager savings and the payout from a life insurance policy...which adds up to more than a million dollars. This is all news to Jenna--bad news, once the police get wind of her windfall. An ill wind, indeed, as a second murder cements Jenna's status as the prime suspect in both deaths.

Jenna can hit the road again, taking her chances that she can elude trouble along the way. Or she can stick it out in Hokes Folly, take over the bookstore, and try to sleuth out her uncle's killer. On the one hand, she's made some wonderful new friends, and she feels she can thrive in the genial small-town environment. On the other hand, trouble knows her address--and so does the killer, who is determined to write the final page of Jenna's story.
 

A Quote I Like
I don't have a favorite quote.

My Thoughts Before I Read the Book

I had just written a post on cozy mysteries and I wanted to read one.  I decided to try this one.  I like the concept of a cozy mystery because it is not graphic.  Yes, you may have murder but if you are on the squeamish side you could probably handle a cozy mystery.


My Thoughts After Reading the Book

This is a perfect cozy mystery. Yes, there is death and suspense without the blood and gore.

Our protagonist Jenna has just arrived at her Uncles apartment.  She lets herself in with the hidden key, goes to bed without knowing the uncle that was not there to greet her lies dead at the foot of the basement stairs.  Sadly Jenna, who just arrived in this small town in NC, is now a suspect in her Uncle's murder.

The storyline advances as Jenna tries to prove her innocence while also trying to find out who would want to hurt her uncle.

The character development is well done.  The storyline held my attention and my curiosity.

Is there a book trailer?

I could not find a book trailer.


Is there a movie?

I could not find any plans to make a movie based on this book.


*******************************************************************************
Book 5 
"Good Morning, Monster"
by Catherine Gildiner
Genre-Non-Fiction, Psychology, Mental Health
4.43 stars on Audible out of 5 stars
I give this book 4/5

Click on the photo below to go to amazon.


Book Description from GoodReads
In this fascinating narrative, therapist Catherine Gildiner's presents five of what she calls her most heroic and memorable patients. Among them: a successful, first generation Chinese immigrant musician suffering sexual dysfunction; a young woman whose father abandoned her at age nine with her younger siblings in an isolated cottage in the depth of winter; and a glamorous workaholic whose narcissistic, negligent mother greeted her each morning of her childhood with Good morning, Monster.

Each patient presents a mystery, one that will only be unpacked over years. They seek Gildiner's help to overcome an immediate challenge in their lives, but discover that the source of their suffering has been long buried.

As in such recent classics as The Glass Castle and Educated, each patient embodies self-reflection, stoicism, perseverance, and forgiveness as they work unflinchingly to face the truth. Gildiner's account of her journeys with them is moving, insightful, and sometimes very funny. Good Morning Monsteroffers an almost novelistic, behind-the-scenes look into the therapist's office, illustrating how the process can heal even the most unimaginable wounds.
 
Quote
I could not find a quote.

My thoughts before reading the book

I love psychology.  I thought I would enjoy a non-fiction story told by someone who had worked in that field.


My thoughts after reading the book

I thoroughly enjoyed this Audible listen.  The writer told her story well.  She shared her experiences in attempting to help five people who came to her struggling.  I enjoyed getting to know her patients and seeing many of them come out on the other side in a much better situation.  I did connect with some of her clients more than others, many pulled at my heartstrings as they described the pain they suffered in their childhood.  
This is a good read.  If you are interested in psychology I think you would enjoy it.

Here is an interview with the author

I could not find anything related too a movie.

*************************************************************************

I would love to know what you are reading.  If you have read any of the above books, did you enjoy them?  Please drop me a note in the comment box.

Take care and happy reading!

                                                                          KathieyV:-)   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Parties-Let's Plan a Party For July 2023-It's a Kids Party-A Teddy Bear Picnic