What Would You Wear to a Luau?

What Would You Wear to a Luau?

I remember as a middle school-aged kid visiting the Caribbean several times with my family. I loved the salt air and the beautiful turquoise water. One thing that always thrilled me was attending a Caribbean-themed party. I remember with delight the fire dancers, the steel bands, and the limbo dancers. 


I have been to Hawaii once. I went with my father decades ago. My Mom was not feeling well enough to travel, and my dad invited me to come along. We visited Kauai, and it was a stunning island. 


One night while in Hawaii, we went to an authentic Hawaiian Luau. I recall the Hulu dancers. The women were lovely in their traditional dance attire, and the men appeared strong and masculine as they danced across the grass. It was beautiful and inspiring. Along with the traditional dances we enjoyed traditional luau food. They had a pig roasting in the ground all day and a massive buffet. I can't even express to you how delicious the food was except for their traditional staple food, poi. I think poi may be an acquired taste.


This week I saw that my neighborhood is hosting a lulu at the pool. As soon as I saw the notice in the neighborhood newsletter, I bought tickets. I am excited to see what they come up with for this party. The invitation says there will be Lei greeters, a Polynesian Revue with Hula dancers, a Fire Knife Dancer, music, Hula Dance lessons, and more. There will also be food described as Pacific Fusion Cuisine. I can't wait!


Now I need to decide what to wear. There is absolutely nothing in my closet that would be appropriate for a Luau. I went online to find out what I should wear. One site, The Polynesian Cultural Center, recommends a floral dress, either long or short, is acceptable. They suggest that the footwear be sandals or flip flops and that you... 


"Dress up any outfit with a simple puka shell necklace, fresh flower lei around your neck or a single flower tucked behind your ear – right if single, left if taken".


I have not enjoyed going to the mall since Covid began because I am uncomfortable in a mask.  I have decided to suck it up, wear a mask, go to the mall, and find an outfit.  Let's go.....

The Mall Adventure that Wasn't...

I was ready for my mall adventure.  I had my camera ready to take photos, and I could not wait to see the lovely dresses perfect for a luau.  I walked into Belks at the mall and was immediately disheartened by the long lines at the register and the equally long lines to get into the one available dressing room.  It was obvious they were taking covid precautions and that they were sorely understaffed.  Yes, I was discouraged, but I pressed on.  Sadly I could find nothing that looked at all like a luau dress.  I left and headed to my computer to shop online.
(I am an Amazon Affiliate and if you buy any items by clicking on the photos I will get a small % of the sale with no added cost to you:-)

Here is the dress I decided to get...

                                                                    
LONGYUAN Women's Summer Short Sleeve Casual Dresses Elastic Loose Comfy Swing Sundress with Pockets which was on sale for $26.99
Here are four Luau dresses that I thought were nice that I found on Amazon.

Have you ever been to a luau?  What did you wear?
I hope you are having a nice summer!
KathtieyV

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Weekend Reading Links and Video Links- How Much Should You Tip Your Food Delivery Person?