My "Authentic Books" Adventure-The Lost Apothecary

I am so excited that I received my first Authentic Book Subscription Box.   I have already read the book, but I was excited to see how it would enhance my reading experience. Let's jump in...


Below is my YouTube video of the experience.


☠☠☠

The book for this month was The Lost Apothecary by Sarah Penner.  Along with the book came a bookmark.  If you know me, you know, I love bookmarks.

You will also find a note from the author that gives you a brief overview of the book.


☠☠☠

I thought I would start with the playlist I found in my box.  Since I have already read the book, it made sense to me that I would understand how the music fit with the book.  If I had not read the book, I would probably listen to the music after reading the book.

There are over two hours of music on this list.  It was fun to listen to the music.  I listened to many songs.  I focused on the lyrics to attempt to find the song's connection to the book.
I picked out a couple of songs that I liked
*Lose You to Love Me by Selena Gomez. Sadly, I could relate to this song.
*Happier by Marshmello Bastille
*Arcade by Duncan Laurence.  I love his voice.
*My Head and My Heart by Ava Max, Claptone.  This would make a good Zumba song:-)

☠☠☠
Next, up is the item they sent based on page 12 of the book.  This is Bath Crumbles to help you soak and unwind.  It is described as a moisturizing bath experience filled with an Apothecary Shop of scents.  The scents in the crumbles are apples, saffron, black currants, blackberries, and anise.  
I went to page 12 to find something related to the bath crumbles.  As I reviewed the page, I found the writer was contrasting the approach of the Apothecary from the perspective of Nella, whose goal was to help women in relationships with cruel and unfaithful men, and of her mother, whose goal was to help women with female related physical issues.  Nella's mom's remedies were meant for good, as I believe is probably the goal of this bath crumble.  
I gave this to my daughter, who is close to delivering her second baby.  She has been taking warm baths at night to ease her achy body, and maybe this will help.  Nella's mom would be happy:-)

☠☠☠

The essential oil roller is from page 34 of the book.  I was thinking after reading the book it was to represent the vials of poison provided by the Apothecary. However, after reading the related page, I found that it actually was about the essential oils that Caroline packed for her trip to London.
They say this essential oil is "protect." This blend is supposed to keep you grounded.  I just put some on, and I must say I have no idea what the scent is, but I do like it.  Time will tell if I am more grounded after the experience because that would be a tall order.  I thought this was a fun touch to add to the box. 

☠☠☠
In the box, I found a Soy Candle.  The candle's name was "Magick."  The scent of the candle is described as a blend of myrrh and amber.  They said to look closely, and you will see peridot gemstones, and there are also supprises hidden in the wax itself.  This item points us to page 60 of the book.

This bookish item leads us to one of the three protagonists in the book, Eliza.  Eliza came from an impoverished family in the country in the 1700s.  Her mom took her to London and told her there was "Magick" to be found in London.  Eliza wanted to find this magick in her life.  
I did find a few items in the wax of this candle as the candle burned.  I found a gold ring and a small plastic tub.  When reading page 60, they talk about a cocoon and how something beautiful lies within.  Maybe that is where they got the idea of hiding a few items in the candle.  I found that to be a lot of fun.
I absolutely loved the smell of that candle.  If that made a lotion in that scent, I would buy it.

☠☠☠
In this box was a container of Sugar Scrub.  It is a Lavender Bergamont Sugar Scrub.  Here is how it is described "This scrub will naturally exfoliate and provide moisture resulting in smooth, soft skin."  Sounds good to me!

The sugar scrub points us to page 82. On this page, you find Nella.  Nella is opening a note that is scented with perfume.  The scents are cherries, lavender, and rose water.  This scrub includes the scents of lavender and bergamot.  I have used the scrub, and I really liked it.  The scent is nice, and my skin felt much softer after use. 
The scrub comes from Main Street Apoothecary in KC.  I found their Facebook page-Main Street Apothecary

☠☠☠
Also included in the box was a bar of chocolate.  It is called the Immunity Chocolate Bar.  It is 70.5% dark chocolate and infused with echinacea, Camu Camu, cinnamon, and orange peel.
There is not a page associated with the chocolate bar.  Maybe it will make me immune to any poison I may encounter.  I am eating a chocolate segment right now.  It is flavorful.  The only thing I can identify is the cinnamon and the orange peel—a very pleasing experience.

☠☠☠
There are three options to choose from when you order this box.  I get one of the boxes that give you the option to get a drink mixer or tea.  I choose the drink mixer along with a cocktail recipe.  There is also a second drink recipe on the side of the bottle.  


I am assuming the lavender drink was chosen from the book's lavender color and all the plants and herbs used in an apothecary.  
Have I made a drink yet?  No, I don't have any liquor in my house.  I wish I could find small bottles somewhere.  If I get a large bottle, it hangs around in my house for years.  

Also in the book was a cookie recipe.
I do want to make one of the drinks and the cookie recipe.  It is on my to-do list. 

☠☠☠
Book Quote 

“First, there was trust. Then, there was betrayal. You cannot have one without the other. You cannot be betrayed by someone you do not trust ... what you have learned is the same heart-wrenching journey of every woman to whom I have sold a poison. And it is, indeed, the same path for me.” 


I found this box to be entertaining.  I feel the contents of this box made the book come alive.
Here is a link to their site if you want to check it out.  Here you will find the three price options and what they include in each box-Authentic Books.

In all three boxes, 5% of your membership will be donated to children's literacy which is wonderful!  I looked to see if I had a referral link, but I could not find one.  

Happy reading and unboxing, everyone!
KathieyV:-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Parties-Let's Plan a Party For July 2023-It's a Kids Party-A Teddy Bear Picnic