My Five Book Reading Wrap-Up for November 2020

 Here is the latest five books I have read with a mini review.  It was a pretty good reading period for me.  


(There is an Amazon link to each book.  If you are interested in a bit more information, just click on the link.  I am an Amazon Affiliate.  If you click on the link and buy anything at all, I get a percent of the sale with no cost to you...thanks:-)
*********************************************************************************
Book 1 
"When You See Me"
by Lisa Gardner

Genre: Thriller, Mystery, Thriller, Crime, Detective

Good Reads Rating-4.30
My Rating is 4/5 on a scale of 1-5
Click on photo below to go to Amazon.
       

Overview I found on Amazon.
"FBI Special Agent Kimberly Quincy and Sergeant Detective D D Warren have built a task force to follow the digital bread crumbs left behind by deceased serial kidnapper Jacob Ness. When a disturbing piece of evidence is discovered in the hills of Georgia, they bring Flora Dane and true-crime savant Keith Edgar to a small town where something seems to be deeply wrong. What at first looks like a Gothic eeriness soon hardens into something much more sinister . . . and they discover that for all the evil Jacob committed while alive, his worst secret is still to be revealed. Quincy and DD must summon their considerable skills and experience to crack the most disturbing case of their careers—and Flora must face her own past directly in the hope of saving others".

 Quote
“Sometimes, fear is like that: It leaves you with nothing but the desire for it to be done.” 
― Lisa Gardner, When You See Me

My Thoughts Before I Read the Book
I needed a book to hold my attention as I traveled.  This book got excellent reviews on Goodreads and Audible, so I decided to choose this listen for my ride.

My Thoughts After I Read the Book
I will just tell you this book starts with bones found in the woods, and the storyline goes on from there. This is a crime detective story at its finest.  You will find good guys and bad guys in this book, some you will love, and some hate.  There is murder, predatory behavior, and human trafficking.  You get hints of what is happening to the victims in the story without a ton of detail into their plight; thus, even someone like me, who is sensitive to violence, can handle the storyline.  
I have two favorite characters.  Flora who works with the detectives to try to solve the crime.  Flora can relate because she, too, has been a victim of human trafficking.  The other is a current victim in the story, her name is Bonita, and she is the one they are trying to rescue from the life in which she finds herself.  

My Final Thought
This book is part of a series of detective stories. From what I could find, there are 17 books in this series.  It stands alone as it is perfectly good to read without reading the other books.  After listening to this one, I want to go back and read more in this series.  The narrator on Audible did a wonderful job, and I did find myself on the edge of my seat, wondering what would happen next.  I would give this book a 4/5 on my book scale.

Book Trailer/Movie
I could not find a book trailer or movie based on this book.

*********************************************************************************
Book 2
His and Hers
by 
Alice Feeney
Genre-Thriller, Mystery, Suspense.
4.04 stars on Goodreads out of 5 stars
I would give this book 4.75/5


Amazon Link below...

Overview From Good Reads
There are two sides to every story: yours and mine, ours and theirs, His & Hers. Which means someone is always lying.

Anna Andrews finally has what she wants. Almost. She’s worked hard to become the main TV presenter of the BBC’s lunchtime news, putting work before friends, family, and her now ex-husband. So, when someone threatens to take her dream job away, she’ll do almost anything to keep it.

When asked to cover a murder in Blackdown―the sleepy countryside village where she grew up―Anna is reluctant to go. But when the victim turns out to be one of her childhood friends, she can’t leave. It soon becomes clear that Anna isn’t just covering the story; she’s at the heart of it.

DCI Jack Harper left London for a reason but never thought he’d end up working in a place like Blackdown. When the body of a young woman is discovered, Jack decides not to tell anyone that he knew the victim until he realizes he is a suspect in his own murder investigation.

One of them knows more than they are letting on. Someone isn’t telling the truth. Alternating between Anna's and Jack's points of view, His & Hers is a fast-paced, complex, and dark puzzle that will keep readers guessing until the very end.
Quote 

A lifetime ago, this was the place I called home, but when I look back now, it feels like someone else’s life, not my own. I’m not the same person I was then.” 
― Alice Feeney, 

My Thoughts Before Reading the Book
Again I was looking for a book I could listen to on audible, which seemed to fit what I was looking for.  Good Reads and Audible gave it great reviews.  

My Thoughts After Reading the Book
Oh my goodness, this book was an edge of your seat, listen.  First off, the narration was wonderful.  There was a female voice for the female protagonist and the same for the male.  There was a third distorted voice for the murderer.  I would recommend the audio version.
This book contains bad girls or bullies. I will call them.  These bullies damaged many of their schoolmates, and the damage followed them into adulthood.  This story is about vengeance, some deserved and some not so much.  You find how the characters' lives overlapped and how the damage in their lives shaped their adult lives.  There are so many twists and turns in this book.
Trigger warning-there is a sexual assault in this book.  There is little description but enough to disturb you if you are sensitive to this trigger.  It did bother me, and I am so glad there was no graphic detail.
There is not much I can say without giving it away.  It was a fast, fun listen, and I would recommend this book if you can get past the sexual assault.
Is there a Movie or Book Trailer?
It looks like there is a TV version of this book in the works.  I think it would be a good one.

********************************************************************************
Book 3
"The Last Flight"
Julie Clark
Genre- Thriller, Fiction, Mystery
4.13 stars on Goodreads out of 5 stars
I gave this book a 4.5/5



Amazon Link Below...


Description I Found on Good Reads
Two women. Two Flights. One last chance to disappear.

Claire Cook has a perfect life. Married to the scion of a political dynasty, with a Manhattan townhouse and a staff of ten, her surroundings are elegant, her days flawlessly choreographed, and her future auspicious. But behind closed doors, nothing is quite as it seems. That perfect husband has a temper that burns as bright as his promising political career, and he's not above using his staff to track Claire's every move, making sure she's living up to his impossible standards. But what he doesn't know is that Claire has worked for months on a plan to vanish.

A chance meeting in an airport bar brings her together with a woman whose circumstances seem equally dire. Together they make a last-minute decision to switch tickets ― Claire taking Eva's flight to Oakland, and Eva traveling to Puerto Rico as Claire. They believe the swap will give each of them a head start to begin again somewhere far away. But when the flight to Puerto Rico goes down, Claire realizes it's no longer a head start but a new life. Cut off, out of options, with the news of her death about to explode in the media, Claire will assume Eva's identity, and along with it, the secrets Eva fought so hard to keep hidden.

The Last Flight is the story of two women―both alone, both scared―and one agonizing decision that will change the trajectory of both of their lives.
Quote
“If we don't tell our own stories, we'll never take control of the narrative.” 
― Julie Clark, The Last Flight

My Thoughts Before I Read the Book
I was looking for a book with good reviews to keep me occupied on a road trip.  This received good reviews and was a suspense novel, so I decided to give it a try.

My Thoughts After Reading the Book
This book was a promised an edge of your seat read.  Basically it is about two women trying to escape their difficult lives.  The two meet up accidentally before a flight, and things progress from there.  Can they help each other escape?  Maybe if they swap flight tickets and identities. But you have to think it will not be an easy ride for either of them because they both come from difficult situations.  It is a good read.

Book Trailer



*******************************************************************************
Book 4
"The Haunting of Ashburn House"
by Darcy Coates
Genre- Horror, Paranormal, Mystery, Fiction, Ghosts
4.01 stars on GoodReads out of 5 stars.
I gave this one 4/5 stars.



Amazon Link Below...

Quote from Good Reads,
There's something wrong with Ashburn House...
The ancient building has been the subject of rumors for close to a century. Its owner, Edith, refused to let guests inside and rarely visited the nearby town.

Following Edith's death, her sole surviving relative, Adrienne, inherits the property. Adrienne's only possessions are a suitcase of luggage, twenty dollars, and her pet cat. Ashburn House is a lifeline she can't afford to refuse.

Adrienne doesn't believe in ghosts, but it's hard to ignore the unease that grows as she explores her new home. Strange messages have been etched into the wallpaper, an old grave is hidden in the forest behind the house, and eerie portraits in the upstairs hall seem to watch her every movement.

As she uncovers more of the house's secrets, Adrienne begins to believe the whispered rumors about Ashburn may hold more truth than she ever suspected. The building has a bleak and grisly past. As she chases the threads of a decades-old mystery, Adrienne realizes she's become the prey to something deeply unnatural and intensely resentful.

Only one thing is certain: Ashburn's dead are not at rest. 
Quote
“This is a house that hasn’t seen a new soul in half a century. The walls are saturated with her; the floorboards are worn down from her feet; the very air continues to carry her presence after her death.” 
― Darcy Coates, The Haunting of Ashburn House


My Thoughts Before I Read the Book
My only thoughts were it is October and time for a ghost story.
My Thoughts After Reading the Book
I remember reading this story, and at times, it was a bit far fetched, but it was a ghost story.  There is a grave, and there is the undead, and that is all I will say. The poor protagonist and her cat are fighting for their lives in this story.  It is a perfect Halloween read.
Is there a movie?
I could not find anything related to a movie regarding this book.  I think it would make a fun film if they do decide to produce a movie.

*******************************************************************************
Book 5 
"The House on Tradd Street"
by Karen White

Genre-Mystery, Fiction, Paranormal
3.99 stars on Good Reads out of 5 stars
I give this book 3/5


Link to Amazon Below.....

 
Quote from the Book Jacket
Practical Melanie Middleton hates to admit she can see ghosts. But she's going to have to accept it. An old man she recently met has died, leaving her his historic Tradd Street home, complete with housekeeper, dog—and a family of ghosts anxious to tell her their secrets.

Enter Jack Trenholm, a gorgeous writer obsessed with unsolved mysteries. He has reason to believe that diamonds from the Confederate Treasury are hidden in the house. So he turns the charm on with Melanie, only to discover he's the smitten one...

It turns out Jack's search has caught the attention of a malevolent ghost. Now, Jack and Melanie must unravel a mystery of passion, heartbreak—and even murder.
Quote
I did not have a favorite quote.

My thoughts before reading the book

The book jacket said it was a ghost story set in Charleston.  I love ghost stories and Charleston, so I thought it would be a perfect October read.  


My thoughts after reading the book
Pretty early on, I knew this book was not going to be one of my favorites.  I was not crazy about the characters and grew very tired of the main character's bantering and a potential love interest. They were constantly lobbing flirtatious insults at one another, and I would find myself rolling my eyes.  I finished about 2/3 of the book when I found myself skimming and not really caring what would happen next.  I decided I had enough, and I DNF'd this book.  
I think it is an ok book, and I decided to give it a 2.5/5 on my reading scale.  It was just not enough to hold my interest.
Is there a movie?
I could not find anything related to a movie regarding this book. 

**************************************************************************
Check out my YouTube Video below








I would love to know what you are reading.  If you have read any of the above books, did you enjoy them?  Please drop me a note in the comment box.

Take care and happy reading!
KathieyV:-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Weekend Reading Links and Video Links- How Much Should You Tip Your Food Delivery Person?