Try a Chapter of My Next Five Books to be Read

 I saw a YouTube video where the person was doing a "Try a Chapter." They would read on a chapter of the book and give you their views of what they had read. I decided that it would be fun and thought, let's do it for my next five books on my reading list.  It will give me a taste of each book.


My Next Five Books
Try a Chapter

You can check out my youtube video below




***************************************************************************
"Tears of Salt
A Doctor's Story of the Refugee Crisis"
by
Pietro Bartolo and Lidia Tilotta
                  On the cover of this book, we learn that a rocky island called Lampedusa (Lampedusa is the largest island of the Italian Pelagie Islands in the Mediterranean Sea) is the location for the port of call for hundreds of thousands of African and Middle Eastern refugees fleeing civil war and terrorism in hopes of a better life.  The first chapter of the book called Mare nostrum gives us a glimpse of a memory of the storyteller, I think.  You also begin to hear stories of the people seeking freedom and some of the horrors of their journey.
This sounds like a painful but hopeful book.  I hope most of them do find better lives.
FYI: Mare nostrum is Latin for Our Sea

*****************************************************************************
"Obsessed."
by
Allison Britz
A Memoir of My Live with OCD


This book starts off in the prologue with a girl so excited to use her new hairdryer for the first time.  As she begins to use the new expensive hair dryer something inside herself, stronger then herself says "You will not dry your hair" it commands. After this moment she finds herself helpless on the floor.
I went on to read the first chapter and we find ourselves in the classroom with the main character.  All seems like the life of a typical eighth-grader but then the vivid nightmares begin and things seem to shift.
I feel after reading the first chapter that I don't understand OCD.  I am curious to learn more.
***************************************************************************
"At The Wolf's Table"
A Novel
by
Rosella Postorino
This book starts off with a young woman telling her story.  She sits, along with nine other women, at a long table.  The guards place food in front of the women and tell them to eat.  They do reluctantly eat.  It is not like they have a choice.  They are tasters for Hitler and the goal that is forced upon them is to make sure the food that will be served to Hitler is not poisoned. 
This should be an interesting read.


******************************************************************************
"Lights All Night Long"
by
Lydia Fitzpatrick

I read just a portion of the first chapter.  A fifteen-year-old boy named Ilya had arrived in Baton Rouge La.  He is there from Russia to be a foreign exchange student.  He is angry and seems to me to be extremely unfriendly.
Right now I don't like him but maybe that will change as the story goes on.  I sure hope so.

********************************************************************************
"Watching You"
by
Lisa Jewell
                     The prologue is the scene of a murder.  The person telling the story is collecting evidence.  There is a dead woman on the floor and a clean murder weapon in the sink.  The investigator sees a red tassel on the floor sitting in a drop of blood.  She thinks it may but nothing as she places it in the evidence.  Then she says "but nothing was often everything in forensics".

******************************************************************************
So, now that I have a brief knowledge of the books, where should I start?  I will mull that over for a while and start one tonight.  I can't wait.
I put the question of Which one should I read first to my Facebook friends.  Based on their response here is my list 
1-Watching You
2-Obsessed
3-Tears of Salt
4-At the Wolf's Table
5-Lights All Night Long
When I finish all five, a mini-review will follow.
Happy Reading, Everyone!
KathieyV


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Parties-Let's Plan a Party For July 2023-It's a Kids Party-A Teddy Bear Picnic