Journal Prompt-What is the Scariest Thing You Have Ever Done



When I think back to one of the scariest things I have ever done, one event comes immediately to mind. What is that, you ask? Parasailing in the Caribbean. 

I remember signing up for the parasailing ride. You could have so much time for a specific amount of money, or you could go further if you pay for more time. Never having parasailed before, I opted for the extended trip.

This event happened decades ago, and I can remember my husband, at the time, being terrified at the thought of this activity because he was afraid of heights. I, on the other hand, was raring to go.

I remember standing on the platform where I was to suit up for the event. The guides spoke in their native tongue, and I had no clue what they were saying. They were placing me in a harness as I waited desperately for some type of instruction. I finally said, "what do I do?" and the next sentence out of one guide's mouth was, "hold on, lady!" The moment my guide spoke those words, I was pulled roughly off the platform without warning. I flew through the air for a split second, and then almost immediately, I hit the water and went under, not having taken a preparatory breath. It all happened so fast, and before I could process what was happening, I came sputtering out of the water and found myself flying higher and higher into the air.

I survived my initiation into the world of parasailing. The problem and the reason the ride was the scariest thing I have ever done was because of the only instruction by my guide. I am pretty good at following directions, and when he said, "hold on," and I did so with my hands in a very high uncomfortable position.

As the ride progressed, I maintained my firm grip. There was a strong wind that day, and as I was flying high in the sky, there would be a shift in the wind, and then I would suddenly dip toward the ocean. It was a bit like wind shear. When I was up high for any length of time, I would look at the far off ocean below me and wonder if I would survive the fall. I knew from the intensity of the demand that I "hold on" that I would plunge to the water below if I let go.

I remember talking to God. I told him I might need to let go and that I put my future in his hands. As my arms grew weaker and weaker, I decided I had no choice but to let go. I knew God had me in his hands regardless of the results of my weakness, and I found great comfort in that knowledge.

Eventually, I took a deep breath and slowly let go of the rope. As I awaited my fate, I soon realized that I could let go, and the harness would hold me. I then realized I could relax and enjoy what was left of my flight. It was a good thing that I paid for the more extended experience because I held on uncomfortably to the rope most of the ride. I totally enjoyed the last minutes of my adventure.

 The most significant part of the story is that I put my trust in God even in my fear, and I rested in his care. 

KathieyV 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Parties-Let's Plan a Party For July 2023-It's a Kids Party-A Teddy Bear Picnic