Reading Along with Caleb and Maggie. Maggie's Book, "Mercy Watson to the Rescue" by Kate DiCamillo (Spoiler Alert)

During this time of isolation, due to COVID 19, I have decided it would be fun to buddy read a book with Caleb and Maggie.  For Easter, I gave them each a book and I bought the books for myself as well so we can share them over facetime.
Maggie and I will be reading together Mercy Watson to the Rescue.  This is a new book for me so let's get started.
Mercy Watson to the Rescue
(photos below are from the book)

Chapter 1
Mercy is a pig.  Mercy lives with Mr. and Mrs. Watson.  She has a beautiful bedroom with orange blankets.  When Mercy goes to bed at night Mr. and Mrs. Watson sing to her. 

When they sing to her Mercy feels warm inside like she has just eaten hot toast with a lot of butter.
When they turn off the lights she sometimes feels afraid.  Sometimes when she feels afraid she goes to Mr. and Mrs. Watson's room and sleeps with them and then she sleeps soundly feeling all warm and buttery-toasty.


Chapt 2
Mr. and Mrs. Watson and Mercy were all fast asleep in the bed together.  They were all dreaming.  Mr. Watson was dreaming of driving a very fast car and in his sleep, he was saying "Vroom, Vrooomm". 


Mrs. Watson was dreaming of buttering toast for Mercy and her sleep she was saying "Have some more dear".  Mercy was dreaming of stacks of buttered toast on her favorite blue plate and she snuffled and chewed in her sleep. 

They were so busy sleeping and dreaming that they did not hear the floor moaning.  Oh No!

Chapt 3
This chapter opens up with a boom and a crack as a hole opens up under their bed and the bed begins to fall through.  They thought maybe it was an earthquake or the end of the world and they thought the best thing to do was not to move.  Mercy jumped off the bed and the Watson's said she is going to call for help.  But no, Mercy was not going for help.  Mercy was off to the kitchen to find some toast.



*********************************************************************************
Questions
1-What type of animal is Mercy?
2-What do Mr. and Mrs. Watson do every night before Mercy goes to sleep?
3-What type of food makes Mercy feel all warm inside?
4-What did Mr. and Mrs. Watson dream about?  What did Mercy dream about?
5-What caused the boom and crack sound in the Watson's bedroom?
6-What was Mercy really doing when she jumped out of the bed?  Was she going to get help or something else?
*********************************************************************************
Projects
*Make some hot buttered toast and take a picture.  Taste the hot buttered toast.  Does it make you feel all warm and buttery inside like it does for Mercy?

*What is your favorite dream?  Draw a picture of your dream and take a photo.

*What is your favorite song that your parents sing to you before you go to bed?

*********************************************************************************
Nana's Answers

*I did make some hot butter toast and it was warm and yummy.  After the first bite, I knew I would enjoy it more if I turned into cinnamon toast and that is what I did.

*My most recent favorite dream was a dream I had last night.  Due to the virus, I have not been able to hug my grandkids.  Last night in my dream I was walking on the trail.  Coming toward me were two kids, a young girl, and an older brother.  As I got closer I realized it was Maggie and Caleb.  I ran to them and hugged them.  I woke up crying because I miss their hugs so much.


* I can't recall my parents singing to me.  I remember singing a song to my kids "A Little Bit of Honey that the Bees Don't Got". It was a line from a book that I made into a song.


*****************************************************************************
Answers to the questions
1-Mercy is a pig.
2-They sing to Mercy.
3-Hot buttered toast.
4-Mr Watson would dream he was driving a very fast car.  Mrs. Watson would dream she was making hot buttered toast for Mercy.  Mercy would dream she was eating hot buttered toast. 
5-There was a hole forming under their bed and the bed was starting to fall into the hole.
6-Mercy was not going for help, she was hungry and she was off to find some hot buttered toast.

Happy Reading Everyone!



Below is a link to the book on Amazon.
I am an Amazon Affiliate, if you buy the book through this link I get a small percent of the sale with no added cost to you. 

                                                                   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Weekend Reading Links and Video Links- How Much Should You Tip Your Food Delivery Person?