This Month in North Carolina History January 1716 The Blue Laws. (Voice Lessons for Everyone:-)

In Jan 1716 the Blue Laws were instituted in North Carolina.  As I understand it these laws were rules that were established to observe the Sabbath.  It seemed to involve not doing business or buying alcohol on Sunday.  Thank goodness most of these laws are now off the books.

I went to an online dictionary and found this definition of Blue Law

  1. a law prohibiting certain activities, such as shopping, on a Sunday.
    (in colonial New England) a strict religious law, particularly one preventing entertainment or leisure activities on a Sunday.
Other NC Laws
Reading about the Blue Laws lead me to site called "Big Government. Small Brains. Dumb Laws".  So now I have to read some of the silly laws that may still be on the books in NC.  I will share a few that I found on this site.
*It is against the law to sing off key.  I know many folks who would be in jail if this was enforced. 
*Persons in possession of illegal substances must pay taxes on them. I am sure they will fess up on their crime to pay the necessary taxes.
*Cars may not be driven on sidewalks.  I think is a reasonable law and should stay on the books.
*If a man and a woman who aren’t married go to a hotel/motel and register themselves as married then, according to state law, they are legally married.  I like that one:-)
*Elephants may not be used to plow cotton fields.  I have yet to see someone break that law.

Have a great day and what ever you do don't sing off key!
KathieyV:-)
I hope you enjoyed this post.  If you would like to buy me a cup of coffee for my efforts I would love it.  Check out my GoFundMe Page.Click to Donate Now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Parties-Let's Plan a Party For July 2023-It's a Kids Party-A Teddy Bear Picnic