Reading Wrap-Up for September 2024 Plus The Three Books I Am Reading Now

 Join me for my reading wrap-up for September 2024!

Plus the books I am reading currently.


(There is an Amazon link to each book.  If you are interested in a bit more information, click on the link.  I am an Amazon Affiliate.  If you click on the link and buy anything at all, I get a percentage of the sale at no cost to you...thanks:-)
*********************************************************************************
Book 1 
"One Good Thing"
by Alexandra Potter

Genre: Fiction, Romance, Contemporary, Chick-Lit,

Good Reads Rating-4.26/5
My Rating is 4.5/5

Overview
One Good Thing is the new heartwarming, hilarious alternative love story, from the author of Confessions of a Forty-Something F**k Up, Alexandra Potter

In life, nothing is certain. Just when you think you have it all figured out, something can happen to change the course of everything . . .

Liv Brooks is still in shock. Newly-divorced and facing an uncertain future, she impulsively swaps her London Life for the sweeping hills of the Yorkshire Dales, determined to make a fresh start. But fresh starts are harder than they look and feeling lost and lonely she decides to adopt Harry, an old dog from the local shelter, to keep her company.

But Liv soon discovers she isn’t the only one in need of a new beginning. On their daily walks around the village, they meet Valentine, an old man who suffers from loneliness who sits by the window and Stanley, a little boy who is scared of everyone, hides behind the garden gate and Maya, a teenager who is angry at everyone and everything. But slowly things start to change…

Utterly relatable, hilarious and heart-breakingly honest, this is a novel about friendship, finding happiness and living the life unexpected. And how when everything falls apart, all you need is one good thing to turn your life around and make it worth living again.

 Quote
“All you need is one good thing to turn life around and make it worth living again.”

My Thoughts Before I Read the Book
Sometimes, it is hard for me to read books on divorce because I went through a very painful divorce.  When I started the book, I hesitated initially but decided to give it a chance.

My Thoughts After I Read the Book
I loved this book.  She reminded me of myself in some ways.  She pushed through the pain and attempted to find joy in a difficult situation.  I thought it was a beautiful, hopeful, and heartwarming book.  

My Final Thought
Great read. I highly suggest this book.

*********************************************************************************
by 
Lara Adrian
Genre-Paranormal Romance, Vampires, Fantasy
3.93 stars on Goodreads out of 5 stars
I would give this book 3.5/5



Overview From Good Reads
He watches her from across the crowded dance club, a sensual black-haired stranger who stirs Gabrielle Maxwell’s deepest fantasies. But nothing about this night—or this man—is what it seems. For when Gabrielle witnesses a murder outside the club, reality shifts into something dark and deadly. In that shattering instant she is thrust into a realm she never knew existed—a realm where vampires stalk the shadows and a blood war is set to ignite.

Lucan Thorne despises the violence carried out by his lawless brethren. A vampire himself, Lucan is a Breed warrior, sworn to protect his kind—and the unwitting humans existing alongside them—from the mounting threat of the Rogues. Lucan cannot risk binding himself to a mortal woman, but when Gabrielle is targeted by his enemies, he has no choice but to bring her into the dark underworld he commands.

Here, in the arms of the Breed’s formidable leader, Gabrielle will confront an extraordinary destiny of danger, seduction, and the darkest pleasures of all. . . .

Quote 
“It was too late to stop now. 
This kiss had damned them both.”

My Thoughts Before Reading the Book

I saw this book recommended on Good Reads by another reader. I asked myself if I really wanted to read a vampire romance, and my answer was, "Why not?" So, I bought the book on Amazon.

My Thoughts After Reading the Book

Keep in mind that it is a romance novel; with that comes sex and seduction. There was a pretty good plot.  I did like the characters and the romance so for me it was a good read.  Keep in mind it is not for kids, in my mind it is a bit too graphic for little ones.


********************************************************************************
Book 3
by Liz Moore
Genre-Mystery, Fiction, Thriller, 
4.24 stars on Goodreads out of 5 stars
I gave this book a 3/5


Overview...
When a teenager vanishes from her Adirondack summer camp, two worlds collide

Early morning, August 1975: a camp counselor discovers an empty bunk. Its occupant, Barbara Van Laar, has gone missing. Barbara isn’t just any thirteen-year-old: she’s the daughter of the family that owns the summer camp and employs most of the region’s residents. And this isn’t the first time a Van Laar child has disappeared. Barbara’s older brother similarly vanished fourteen years ago, never to be found.

As a panicked search begins, a thrilling drama unfolds. Chasing down the layered secrets of the Van Laar family and the blue-collar community working in its shadow, Moore’s multi-threaded story invites readers into a rich and gripping dynasty of secrets and second chances. It is Liz Moore’s most ambitious and wide-reaching novel yet.


Book Quote
“We can do as we please, if we only learn not to care so much about what people think.”

My Thoughts Before I Read the Book

I saw this book on the book of the month site, and it sounded interesting, so I made it my selection for the month.

My Thoughts After Reading the Book

I finished about 1/3 of the book, although I was skimming much of it at that point. Many people loved this book, but it was just not for me. I could not connect with any of the characters.  I was confused at times as to who was who because of the number of characters and all the skipping around due to various time lines.

Book Trailer



*******************************************************************************
What I am reading now...
by Alison Espach
Genre- Fiction, Romance, Chick-Lit
4.21 stars on GoodReads out of 5 stars.

I just started this book, and I am intrigued.  There is going to be a large wedding held at a beautiful venue, lodging included.  Everyone at the venue is there for the wedding except Phoebe.  She could turn the entire event in a different direction.  I am only on page 19, and I want to see what will happen.  So far, I would give it a 5/5 on my reading scale, but we all know that could change.


*******************************************************************************
by David Ellis
Genre-Thriller, Mystery, Fiction, Crime
4.21 stars on Good Reads out of 5 stars


I am listening to this book on Audible.  The narrators do a great job, and I am enjoying the listen.  I am on chapter 55.  It is a love triangle but a bit more complicated than your typical love triangle.  

**************************************************************************
by Augusta Stern
Genre-Historical Fiction, Romance, Fiction, Magical Realism
Good Reads gave it 4.24 stars out of 5
I have not started this book yet, although it does sound interesting. After reading the synopsis, it seems it will be a love story about a woman in her later years re-establishing a relationship with someone she knew in her youth.


I would love to know what you are reading.  If you have read any of the above books, did you enjoy them?  Please drop me a note in the comment box.

Take care, and happy reading!

KathieyV:-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

Weekend Reading Links and Video Links- How Much Should You Tip Your Food Delivery Person?

Travel Blast From the Past-Linville Falls Winery in the Mountains of NC