Books-Reading Wrap-Up for July 2024

  Hi, and welcome to my reading wrap-up for July 2024.  




📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚

The Circus Train by Amita Parikh

This was a Book of the Month book.  It took me some time to get through it.  



Genre is Historical Fiction, Romance, WWII

Overview from Goodreads

At the World of Wonders, Europe's most magnificent travelling circus, every moment is full of magic, and nothing is as it seems--especially for the people who put on the show

Lena Papadopoulos has never quite found her place within the circus, even as the daughter of the extraordinary headlining illusionist, Theo. Brilliant and curious, Lena yearns for the real-world magic of science and medicine, despite her father's overprotection and the limits her world places on her because she is disabled. Her unconventional life takes an exciting turn when she rescues Alexandre, an orphan with his own secrets and a mysterious past. Over several years, as their friendship flourishes and Alexandre trains as the illusionist's apprentice, World War II escalates around them. When Theo and Alexandre are contracted to work and perform in a model town for Jews set up by the Nazis, Lena becomes separated from everything she knows. Forced to make her own way, Lena must confront her doubts and dare to believe in the impossible--herself.



Five-Star Review from Goodreads...

This was such a beautiful story that I got so absorbed in and loved💖 I would definitely recommend it if you enjoy strong character driven historical novels. This is an Incredible One.

One Star Review from Goodreads...

Overall, the book reads as a poorly thought out pile of callouts to what someone believes readers want to see - lip service to disability rep, the horrors of Nazism, POC rep, Anti-Colonial rep, Feminist rep - while mangling it to all.


My Thoughts on The Circus Train...

There were parts of this book I really enjoyed.  There were times I was invested in the narrative.  Sadly there were other times my mind wandered and I wanted the journey to end.  At the end of the book I just began turning pages.  I would give this book a 3/5 on my reading scale. 

📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚

My Audible listen for July was called "No One to Hear You" by Samantha Hayes

Genre-Thriller, Mystery, Fiction, Crime.

Overview From Good Reads...
Mary Marshall would do anything for her daughter, Julia. A devoted grandmother, Mary has always been the rock her family can rely on. But she has a past that Julia knows nothing about. And now it's back to haunt her.

Julia's husband, Murray French, is walking a tightrope. A solicitor struggling with an alcohol problem, he's about to lose his wife and his children to another man: someone successful, someone they deserve. Someone who's everything he's not. Can he ever get his family back?

Just when Julia thinks life is starting to turn around, she stumbles upon the brutalised body of a girl she teaches. And as the terrible present starts to shed light on her mother's past, Julia realises her family's nightmare is only just beginning...

Five Star Review...
An intriguing story with twists and turns that kept me eagerly reading and guessing until the end! Fortunately all questions were answered and it was a fulfilling conclusion...a feature I believe is a must in this story genre. A most satisfying read.

One Star Review...
Disappointed in this novel as I generally enjoy this author. Really thought it went on
and on about nothing much and I can't find much to say about it that is positive! Did like her
usual twist at the end though.
My Thoughts...
I really enjoyed this listen.  The narrator did a very good job and the story line kept my interest.  The book did have some unusual twists and turns that did surprise me but in a twisted way mad total sense.   I would recommend this book and I am giving it a 4.5/5 on my reading scale

📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚

What I am reading and listening to in August...
Two Physical Books...


An Audible Book...

I would love to know what you are reading.  Let me know in the comment box.
If you have read any of the books about let me know your thoughts.
Happy Reading!
KathieyV





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

Weekend Reading Links and Video Links- How Much Should You Tip Your Food Delivery Person?

Travel Blast From the Past-Linville Falls Winery in the Mountains of NC