Bringing Movies To Life-Private Benjamin A Nancy Meyers Film

 Bringing A Movie To Life-

Private Benjamin

I was reading an article the other day on Nancy Meyers's Movies.  I don't think I have heard of Nancy Meyers, but I thought I would take a look at her work.  First off, who is Nancy Meyers?  Here is a comment from Wikipedia... 

"Nancy Meyers is an American filmmaker. She has written, produced, and directed many critically and commercially successful films."

I thought it would be fun to watch all of her movies and attempt to bring them to life.  How do I bring books and movies to life, you ask?  I watch the movie and decide how to take aspects of the movie into my world.  Such as if they go to a bar, I may go to a bar, if they have a pretty item in the production I may see if I can find that item on Amazon.  



I found the movie Private Benjamin on Amazon.  It was, I think, $3.99 for the rental. Here is the description of the movie I found on Rotten Tomatoes


A Jewish-American princess, Judy Benjamin (Goldie Hawn), is devastated when her husband (Albert Brooks) drops dead on their wedding night. While she grieves, a duplicitous recruiter for the Women's Army Corps convinces her to enlist. Judy thinks her enlistment is like a vacation, but Captain Lewis (Eileen Brennan) quickly dashes her hopes of an easy time. As Judy goes through basic training like any other grunt, she becomes a good soldier and develops a sense of self-esteem.

On Rotten Tomatoes, they gave the movie 83% on the Tomatometer, and the audience gave the movie 60%.

I watched the movie and enjoyed it. I have always liked Goldie Hawn. Goldie plays Private Benjamin, a young woman who is confused about where life is leading her. She joins the army on a whim, and it is not as she imagined.  

The movie is funny and hopeful. It is about a young woman trying to find herself. As I said, I enjoyed the movie and would give it a 7/10 on my movie scale. It is fun and worth watching.

Here are a few things that you could do based on the movie...
  1. A quote in the movie is when Private Benjamin realizes she is trapped in the army, she says... "I want to go out to lunch." So you could go out for a nice lunch.
  2. There are military bands and jazz bands in the movie. Go out to listen to music at a local venue.
  3. People seemed to wear a lot of black in this movie. It would be nice to buy a little black dress; I know I need one.
  4. Buy something Army green.
  5. Private Benjamin had to clean the latrine with a toothbrush.  You could buy an electric toothbrush.
  6. Of course, in boot camp, there is a lot of working out.  You could go to a local health club and do a "boot camp" workout.  I would like to do that, but I am a little scared:-)
  7. You could watch the movie and pick out a few items found in the movie that you would like to buy and search for them on Amazon.
Let's Go Shopping On Amazon...

2 American Flag Tank Tops Women Patriotic Shirt I was trying to find something Army green.  This, I think, fits the bill, and it is patriotic.

3 Accudart Match Pro Dartboard Cabinet Set - Official Size If you watch the movie closely, you will see a dart board in one of the scenes.  This one on Amazon looks like fun.

4 Oral-B Pro 1000 Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush  I put this in the mix because Private Benjamin had to clean the latrine with her electric toothbrush.  

5 Cuisinart 9-Cup Continuous Feed Food Processor A food processor was seen early on in the movie as a gift.  

6  Barnes and Ivy Traditional Asian Chinese Style Table Lamp This is somewhat similar to a lamp I saw in the movie.

7 Oversized Cotton Bedspread Queen Size There is a bedroom with navy bedding in the movie.  I thought this was pretty, and it would go well with the lamp.

I would suggest you watch the movie and bring the movie to life in your world.  
Enjoy the Journey!
KathieyV



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

Weekend Reading Links and Video Links- How Much Should You Tip Your Food Delivery Person?

Travel Blast From the Past-Linville Falls Winery in the Mountains of NC