Travel-Ayr Mount In Hillsborough NC Part 3-The Interior

I am back in Hillsborough, NC, this post visiting the lovely Ayr Mount. Let's take a look at what I found inside of this home. I will share the adventure with my photos. I will place little tidbits of information about the house between the photos.

After having walked the Poet's Walk and explored the Outside of Ayr Mount, it was time to take a step inside this lovely historic home. 

Ayr Mount is a Federal-era plantation house built in 1815 in Hillsborough, North Carolina, by William Kirkland.

Kirkland was from Ayr, Scotland.

I have read that the ceilings are anywhere from 12-14 feet tall.  
I remember asking about the photos of Indians that were found on the lower level of the house.  They said the photos were taken from a book and framed and put on display.


A few other photos I found on the wall of this historic home.





Ayr Mount was the first residence in the area built of brick.
The furniture in the home was beautiful.


I love this side table with the claw feet.

Looking out from the windows...



Built at the end of the War of 1812

The beds were draped in lovely fabric.




The style of the home is a blend of Georgian and Federal styles.

I love this musical instrument which I would call a piano, but I believe they called it something else. I read on one site that it is called a fortepiano.



There were several busts scattered throughout the house.

"The largest room in the house is the Dining Room, measuring 24 feet by 28 feet."

Biscuit Jars
Ayr Mount sits on  265 acres set along the Eno River.


There were two objects found in the house that the tour guide asked us to guess what they were.
The one above was found in the dining room, and it is a plate warmer.  I got this one wrong:-)


I got this one wrong also...it is some type of coffee pot/maker.  


I had a wonderful time exploring Ayr Mount, both the inside and the outside.
Here is a link to the website where you can find more info and also purchase a ticket for the tour.
If you find yourself in Hillsborough, NC, I suggest you check out Ayr Mount.  
I think you will enjoy it...I did:-)
Happy Travels!
KathieyV

I will leave you with Scottish Limerick...since they are from Scotland.

There was a young Scotsman named Fisher
Who was fishing for fish in a fissure. 
Then a cod, with a grin, 
Pulled the fisherman in. 
Now they're fishing the fissure for Fisher.


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Weekend Reading Links and Video Links- How Much Should You Tip Your Food Delivery Person?