Book Genres Defined- What is a Contemporary Genre?

There are so many genres and subgenres in books.  One series that I started is "Book Genres Defined" so that you and I can better understand what they are.  Today my focus is The Contemporary Genre."

The YouTube Version



I found a paragraph that sums up the Contemporary Genre...

"Contemporary/Realistic: Realistic fiction creates imaginary characters and situations that depict our world and society. It focuses on themes of growing up and confronting personal and social problems. This genre portrays characters coming to understand themselves and others." 

Here is a breakdown of how I understand the Contemporary Genre...


*Stories that could happen to real people.

*Settings are what could be real settings.

*The setup could be our natural world and society.

*The focus could be on confronting personal or social problems.

*The storylines could focus on growing up and the situations faced during this time.

*Contemporary literature usually means after WWII

*There is no fantasy in the contemporary genre; it is realistic fiction.
📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚
I recently finished a book that is considered contemporary.  It is called The Travelling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa.
This is the story about a man and his cat in present-day Japan.  It is easy to see this as a contemporary read because it deals with the main character and the cat's day-to-day life.  Decisions need to be made, and things need to get done, which is the book's focus.  You can see my review on my Five Book Reading Wrap-Up.

📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚
The book I am currently reading is also considered contemporary.  It is called The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner.

I am about a third of the way into this book.  The focus is on three teens entering their senior year of high school.  You meet these three people and learn of their lives and hopes and dreams for the future.  Theirs is a unique friendship, and they have a strong bond.  You learn of the hardships they faced and how they plan to overcome them.  I am enjoying this book so far, and I feel connected to the characters.

It is easy to see how The Serpent King is a contemporary book.  It speaks of people in the present day and the good and bad situations they face.  It, too, is a coming of age in that the three are preparing to leave high school and enter adulthood. 

I better understand the contemporary genre now, and I hope you do too.
Happy Reading, Everyone!
KathieyV









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Weekend Reading Links and Video Links- How Much Should You Tip Your Food Delivery Person?