Journal Prompt-Have You Ever Competed in an Organized Sporting Event?

 

I have competed in a few athletic events in my lifetime. That being said, I am not very competitive when it comes to sports-related activities. 

Growing up in the countryside of Maryland, I played my share of football and baseball in the fields with my brothers. I grew up with four brothers, and they did not treat me any differently than they would a boy playing the game. I remember many painful tumbles when playing tackle football and several equally painful moments when being hit by a fast-moving baseball. 

I did not play any sports in school. I regret that I did not pursue some type of team sport because I was athletic and I could run. I think I would have enjoyed field hockey. My Mom played field hockey, and she loved it. My daughter Erica played as well; my Mom would have been proud. 

I was a cheerleader in High School. It was not the extreme cheerleading that you see today. To be a cheerleader in my school, you had to be able to do a split, cartwheels, a few flips, and memorize a routine. It was a lot of fun, but the type of cheering I did was not what I would call an athletic event.

When I was in my early thirties, my husband, at the time, and I joined a co-ed soccer team. All I knew about soccer was that you run, kick the ball, and do your darndest to get it in the opponent's goal. Little did I know how competitive these novice teams were. They were out for blood, and they got it. I remember a man who stole the ball from me with such intensity that he knocked me over in the process. I remember this as the turning point for me. I learned that there was nothing friendly about our opponents. I jumped up, angry at the indignity, and I chased that guy down and got the ball back.   I, too, remember seeing my ex facing off with a woman to block her from heading to the goal. I remember thinking this would be a piece of cake. As the woman came barreling toward Joe, I realized I was probably wrong in this assumption. This female player locked her eyes on the goal and let nothing in her path deter her, including Joe. I can still see him flying through the air after the impact. 

The only other sporting events I have been involved in are local fun runs. I have done the one-mile fun runs and a few 5Ks, and one 8K run. In these runs, my goal was to reach the end successfully. I did not worry about how long it would take me; I focused more and having fun and enjoying the scenery around me during the run. Many times I would carry a small camera with me and take photos along the way. 

Do I have any aspirations to compete in a sports-related event again? I am tempted to run another local 5K. If I do, I will have a smile on my face and a camera in my hand and no desire to rush the process only to finish. 

KathieyV

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Weekend Reading Links and Video Links- How Much Should You Tip Your Food Delivery Person?