Five Book Reading Wrap-Up for May 2021

 

                   Join me for my five-book reading wrap-up!

Here is my Youtube Video


(There is an Amazon link to each book.  If you are interested in a bit more information, click on the link.  I am an Amazon Affiliate.  If you click on the link and buy anything at all, I get a percent of the sale at no cost to you...thanks:-)
*********************************************************************************
Book 1 
"Arsenic and Adobo"
by Mia P. Manansala
Genre-Mystery, Fiction, Cozy Mystery, Food and Drink

Good Reads Rating-3.68/5
My Rating is 3.75/5


(click photo below to go to Amazon)


Overview I found on GoodReads.
The first book in a new culinary cozy series full of sharp humor and delectable dishes—one that might just be killer....

When Lila Macapagal moves back home to recover from a horrible breakup, her life seems to be following all the typical rom-com tropes. She's tasked with saving her Tita Rosie's failing restaurant, and she has to deal with a group of matchmaking aunties who shower her with love and judgment. But when a notoriously nasty food critic (who happens to be her ex-boyfriend) drops dead moments after a confrontation with Lila, her life quickly swerves from a Nora Ephron romp to an Agatha Christie case.

With the cops treating her like she's the one and only suspect, and the shady landlord looking to finally kick the Macapagal family out and resell the storefront, Lila's left with no choice but to conduct her own investigation. Armed with the nosy auntie network, her barista best bud, and her trusted Dachshund, Longanisa, Lila takes on this tasty, twisted case and soon finds her own neck on the chopping block…
 Quote
I do not have a quote.

My Thoughts Before I Read the Book
This book came out early this year and got some positive press on Goodreads.  I was interested in it because of the food involved and also because it was a Cozy Mystery.
My Thoughts After I Read the Book
The protagonist, Lila, returns home after a terrible breakup. She returns home to help her aunt, who is dealing with a failing restaurant. 
As Lila works to help her aunt, an old flame starts to frequent the restaurant. This man is a food critic, and he writes scathing reviews of the family restaurant. Lila's family restaurant is not the only one criticized by this foodie. It was bad enough that he was so negative in his reviews, but early on in the book, he dies while eating the restaurant's food. 
Lila becomes a suspect because of the past relationship with this man and the fact that he was attempting to damage the restaurant's reputation. Thus, the police thought Lila might be seeking revenge. 
Much of the time, this book focuses on Lila attempting to prove her innocence. However, Lila had many friends and family members also trying to prove her innocence. 
I enjoyed reading about the family relationships, and Filipino culture, and of course the food, and boy was there food. I wish there were a Filipino-focused restaurant in my area. After hearing in detail about the food served in the book, my mouth was watering, and I wanted to sample all the foods mentioned in the book. It seemed everything centered around food when it came to family and friends. The food was made with care and was an expression of love in this family.

My Final Thought
I did enjoy this book. However, if you are looking for a gory murder theme, this is not your book.  This is a cozy mystery.  Yes, several people were found dead, but nothing descriptive as far as the actual murder or the crime scene itself. 
I would love to find a local restaurant that serves some of the food mentioned in the book.  It sounds amazing!
Book Trailer/Movie
I could not find a book trailer or a movie based on this book. However, I think it would make a fun cozy movie.

*********************************************************************************
Book 2
"Fierce Kingdom"
by 
 Gin Phillips
Genre- Thriller, fiction, crime, suspense.
3.57stars on Goodreads out of 5 stars
I give this book 5/5



Amazon Link below...
Overview From Good Reads
The zoo is nearly empty as Joan and her four-year-old son soak up the last few moments of playtime. They are happy, and the day has been close to perfect. But what Joan sees as she hustles her son toward the exit gate minutes before closing time sends her sprinting back into the zoo, her child in her arms. And for the next three hours—the entire scope of the novel—she keeps on running.

Joan’s intimate knowledge of her son and of the zoo itself—the hidden pathways and under-renovation exhibits, the best spots on the carousel and overstocked snack machines—is all that keeps them a step ahead of danger.

A masterful thrill ride and an exploration of motherhood itself—from its tender moments of grace to its savage power—Fierce Kingdom asks where the boundary is between our animal instinct to survive and our human duty to protect one another. For whom should a mother risk her life?
 

Quote 
I don't have a quote for this book.
My Thoughts Before Reading the Book
I bought this book at the Book Outlet.  I honestly don't remember why I selected it.  I liked the cover.  I had probably read or watched a review that pointed me to this book.

My Thoughts After Reading the Book

I had no choice but to rate this book 5 stars.  The reason being is that the book swept me up and would not let me go.  I had such a strong visceral reaction to this book that did not let up until the final pages.  

This book starts off at a local zoo.  Joan and her son Lincoln happen to be visiting the zoo on this terrible day.  They come to the zoo often and knew the property well.  


As they are enjoying their visit as closing time approaches, they begin to hear unfamiliar sounds.  The sounds they would find out soon enough were gunshots.  Sadly, someone was shooting a gun on the zoo property.  Joan realizes they are in danger as she has to protect herself and her son.


This is a tense, gripping, emotional ride.  As Joan and Lincoln attempt to hide, you know the shooter could appear at any moment.  My heart was racing nearly the entire book.


Lincoln is 4, and my granddaughter is 4.  In the moments in the book where Joan is doing her best to keep Lincoln as quiet as possible, I could not help but place myself in the book with Maggie.  In this way, I could relate to the book, and my anxiety grew as I found myself in hiding, trying to comfort and silence Maggie as the bad guy draws closer.


As I read the final pages, I began to cry.  I think I cried because it could have been a true story.  I think I cried because I was relieved that the long terrifying ride was over.  


The ratings for this book are all over the place.  I have seen as low as two stars, but I had to give it five because I could not put it down.

Is there a Movie or Book Trailer?
I did find a book trailer.  I just watched it, and I cried again.


I could not find a movie related to this book.  If they did make one, I would go see it, but as you probably guessed, I would be crying through the entire film.

********************************************************************************
Book 3
"The Gilded Girl"
by Alyssa Colman
Genre-Children's Middle Grade, Fantasy, Historical Fiction, Retelling
4.63 stars on Goodreads out of 5 stars
I gave this book a 4/5



Amazon Link Below...


Book overview as found on GoodReads
Any child can spark magic, but only the elite are allowed to kindle it. Those denied access to the secrets of the kindling ritual will see their magic snuffed out before their thirteenth birthday. 

In 1906 New York City, Miss Posterity’s Academy for Practical Magic is the best kindling school―and wealthy twelve-year-old Emma Harris is accustomed to the best. But when her father dies, leaving her penniless, Emma is reduced to working off her debts to Miss Posterity alongside Izzy, a headstrong servant girl who refuses to let her magic be snuffed out, even if society dictates she must. Emma and Izzy reluctantly form a pact: If Izzy teaches Emma how to survive as a servant, Emma will reveal to Izzy what she knows about magic. Along the way, they encounter shy libraries, quizzes that literally pop, and talking cats (that is, house dragons). But when another student’s kindling goes horribly wrong, Emma, Izzy, and their unexpected new friends embark on a journey to keep magic in the right hands . . . or else there’s a risk it will be snuffed out forever.
Book Quote
I don't have a favorite quote.

My Thoughts Before I Read the Book

I had heard some very good reviews related to this book, so I thought I would give it a try.  I love the cover.  The illustration shows two adorable little girls and what appears to be a cat, but the cat's shadow is that of a dragon.


My Thoughts After Reading the Book

It did not take me long to realize that this book sounded very familiar.  It had bits and pieces that mirrored The Little Princess.  I would later read in reviews that it is a retelling.  


This book takes place in New York in the early 1900s.  In this world, magic can be found.  When children turn 12 years old, they have two options.  They can snuff out their magic, or they can embrace it.  During this time, magic was only for the elite and wealthy.  The poor were not considered worthy of magic. 

Emma was sent to a boarding school to learn to embrace her magic.  Her father has to be away on business, so this seems like the perfect time for Emma to focus on magic.  It is an elite school where the rich learn how to harness their magic which is not an easy task.  


Like the Little Princess, Emma's dad goes missing and is presumed dead.  Suddenly no money is coming in to pay Emma's expenses, and Emma is demoted to a house servant.  Being in the servant role now, Emma befriends another housemaid named Izzy.  Together Emma and Izzy plan to claim their magic even though they are considered unworthy.  They will have to fight for what they believe. 


I enjoyed this book.  It is sweet and embracing.  It was a bit predictable at times because it mirrors The Little Princess, but overall, it is a lovely book.  I think my grandchildren would enjoy this book.


Book Trailer
I could not find a trailer.

Movie
I could not find any info on a movie.


*******************************************************************************
Book 4
"The Drowning Kind"
by Jennifer McMahon
Genre- Horror, Mystery, Thriller, Fiction
3.99stars on GoodReads out of 5 stars.
I gave this one 4/5 stars.



Amazon Link Below...



Description as Found on GoodReads,
When social worker Jax receives nine missed calls from her older sister, Lexie, she assumes that it’s just another one of her sister’s episodes. Manic and increasingly out of touch with reality, Lexie has pushed Jax away for over a year. But the next day, Lexie is dead: drowned in the pool at their grandmother’s estate. When Jax arrives at the house to go through her sister’s things, she learns that Lexie was researching the history of their family and the property. And as she dives deeper into the research herself, she discovers that the land holds a far darker past than she could have ever imagined.

In 1929, thirty-seven-year-old newlywed Ethel Monroe hoped desperately for a baby. In an effort to distract her, her husband whisks her away on a trip to Vermont, where a natural spring is showcased by the newest and most modern hotel in the Northeast. Once there, Ethel learns that the water is rumored to grant wishes, never suspecting that the spring takes in equal measure to what it gives.

A Quote I Like
“In the water, dark and deep where she waits, fast asleep All alone, pale and cold, don’t wake her up, or she’ll catch hold Her soothing voice, so soft and low is the last thing you’ll ever know Four simple words whispered in your ear, a gentle wind only you can hear: 
Come swimming with me” 
― Jennifer McMahon, The Drowning Kind

My Thoughts Before I Read the Book

The premise sounded interesting, and the cover was unique, so I decided to give it a try. The cover shows a woman in the water holding flowers.  At the top of the book, it states, " Marvelously chilling...A true page-turner.  It sounded good to me.


My Thoughts After Reading the Book

This book is both atmospheric and creepy. The story is told from different points of view at various points in time. One of the timelines is in the 1920s, where you meet Ethel and her family. Ethel is married and wants nothing more than to have a baby. However, she and her husband are having difficulty conceiving a child. Ethel has heard that there is magic in waters found on the grounds of a local luxury hotel. She and her husband go to this hotel, and Ethel makes a wish. 

The thing about wishes is there is always a price to pay. So if you make a wish and it is granted, you will have to pay in some way in the future. Or so it is rumored.

The other focus is on Jax and her sister Lexie during their childhood and in the present day. They grew up visiting their grandmother, who lived on the property that once housed the hotel and remains home to the magical springs. The water seems to call to them, especially Lexie. 

There are many characters that I grew close to in this book. You will hear their story, their struggles, and the pull of the water in their lives. In the end, you will see how all the characters in both timelines are connected. 

Yes, there is a type of supernatural power in the pools, and if they call to you and you listen, you may find that you lose yourself to the waters. 

I listened to this book and Audible.  I thought the narrator did a great job.


Is there a book trailer?

I could not find a book trailer.


Is there a movie?

I could not find any plans to make a movie based on this book.


*******************************************************************************
Book 5 
"Evil Eye"
by Madhuri Shekar
Genre-Audiobook, Fiction, Thriller, Suspense, Plays
4.05 stars on Good Reads out of 5 stars
I give this book 4.25/5


This book is only found on audible.  It is an audible original, and it is read by several narrators.  The book is more like a play with several characters and even sound effects.  What fun!
  If you are a member of Audible, you can listen to this story for free.

Book Description from the Audible Site
Usha is convinced that the Evil Eye, a curse that brings continuous misfortune, was cast upon her daughter, Pallavi, in the womb. What else could have possibly left her driven, career-oriented daughter edging closer and closer to 30 without a prospective husband? Determined to set Pallavi on the right path, Usha arranges date after date with potential suitors—but after yet another setup fails, it seems her efforts are proving fruitless. But in an unexpected turn of events, Pallavi becomes her own matchmaker when she meets—and quickly falls for—Sandeep, a young Indian-American entrepreneur. And though she expects her mother will be elated with her finally finding a man, Pallavi is distraught and confused to find her mother growing increasingly suspicious of Sandeep’s motives…and his true identity.

Told through a series of phone calls and voicemails, this Audible Original penned by award-winning rising star playwright Madhuri Shekar transitions seamlessly from a light-hearted family dramedy to an unexpectedly supernatural thriller. With an endearing cast of well-rounded characters, sharp, natural dialogue, and a shocking edge-of-your-seat climax, Evil Eye is a can’t-miss tale about cultural miscommunications, family secrets, and the lingering echoes of trauma.
Quote
I could not find a quote.

My thoughts before reading the book

A booktube review raved about this book.  They liked the storyline, and they liked that it was told like theather.  It was free with your audible account, so I decided to give it a listen.


My thoughts after reading the book

Oh my goodness, I was sucked into this captivating read.  Most of the story is told in a sequence of phone calls.  It is not like your typical book because you are not told what chapter you are on; instead, you hear the phone ring.  As the phone rings, you know the story is advancing.

It seems innocent enough in the beginning, but slowly, the storyline becomes sinister.  A mother is concerned about her daughter.  She hopes she finds a husband soon and wants to arrange a marriage on her behalf. Then, suddenly out of nowhere, the daughter meets someone.  

The mother's history is slowly told, along with how her past is affecting her daughter. There is a connection to be made in each of their lives. As the story builds and danger is lurking, you realize this mom will do and risk anything to save her daughter.  

Slow build edge of your seat read.  Every time the phone rang, I remember thinking that I could not wait to hear who was on the other end.


Book Trailer
I could not find a book trailer.

Is there a movie?

Yes, there is a movie, and it is on Amazon.  Is audible owned by Amazon?  Let me check...Audible is an Amazon subsidiary.  Now I have to watch the movie, and I will be right back.

I watched the movie.  Oh my goodness.  It follows the audible book nearly to the letter.  The ending comes to a very exciting climax.  As I was trying to relax after the intense part of the movie, and I thought all was well, there is a foreshadowing of what is to come at the last minute of the movie, and I said out loud.  "Oh NO!!!!!"

**************************************************************************

I would love to know what you are reading.  If you have read any of the above books, did you enjoy them?  Please drop me a note in the comment box.

Take care and happy reading!

                                                                          KathieyV:-) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Parties-Let's Plan a Party For July 2023-It's a Kids Party-A Teddy Bear Picnic