My Next Five Books to be Read- Let's Try a Chapter

I saw a YouTube video where the person was doing a "Try a Chapter." They would read on a chapter of the book and give you their views of what they had read. I decided that it would be fun and thought, let's do it for my next five books on my reading list.  It will give me a taste of each book.

My Next Five Books
Try a Chapter
You can check out my youtube video below



***************************************************************************
"A Wrinkle in Time"
by
Madeleine L'Engle

I read the first 13 pages of this book.  I found I wanted to keep reading; I was sucked into the story and smooth writing style.
It starts with the protagonist Margaret Murry, or Meg, telling the story.  She was upset and a bit afraid.  A storm was coming, possibly a hurricane, and she was alone in her attic bedroom. A room she had chosen and felt was a privilege to call her own until that night.  She had had a bad day at school. Part of Meg's day had included being dropped down to the lowest section in her grade, so she was upset about that to the point of fighting with others.  Not a good day!
Meg has a set of twins as siblings and also a brother. Her brother seems to know what she is feeling and cares about her deeply.  Her mother is in the story, but her father has gone missing.
That is pretty much all I know about the book. I am excited to know more about the story, so I look forward to reading this book.

*****************************************************************************
"Summer of 69."
by
Elin Hilderbrand
I read the prologue.  This story takes place during the time of the Vietnam war.  Richard Foley, otherwise known as Tiger, gets a letter.  The letter contains a notice that he has been drafted by the military.  His mom Kate is terrified of the potential outcomes of his going to Vietnam and also seems to blame herself, but at this point, I don't know why.
Tiger gets into a military vehicle on his mother's birthday.  He leaves behind a worried mother and a new girlfriend of two weeks. 
Ok, this sounds like an interesting and potentially heartbreaking book.  I am interested.

***************************************************************************
"Midnight at the Blackbird Cafe"
by
Heather Webber
The story takes place in Wicklow, Alabama. I finished the first chapter, and I am not sure how to describe this book. 
Anna Kate is thinking back.  Back to the funeral, the Blackbird Cafe, the birds, and the neighbors.
There is mention of secrets held by Anna Kate's grandmother that her mom did not want her to uncover.  Secrets that have to do with blackbirds, her Celtic heritage, and some whisperings that will affect her future in some way.  
Anna's grandmother ran the blackbird Cafe, and now, after her death, Anna is in charge.  The story takes place during the grand re-opening of the cafe.
I am interested in reading this book.  I did learn that blackbird pie does not include blackbirds just berries or, in some cases, meat of some kind....not blackbirds.

******************************************************************************
"The Southern Book Club's Guide To Slaying Vampires"
by
Grady Hendrix

I already know what this book is about because fo the many reviews I have seen on YouTube. The majority of the reviewers have loved this book.  Based on their reviews, I know that there is a ladies' book club in this town.  It was exclusively women in this club until a handsome man moves into the neighborhood.  This man requests to join the book club.  This man is a vampire.
Let's read the prologue...
The prologue starts with, "This story ends in blood."  It seems to focus on five unnamed women.  We are told in the prologue that their story will end in blood and not just their own.  Great, I was under the impression this book was a bit humorous.  I am not so sure now, but we will see.  I am intrigued. 

********************************************************************************
"Home Before Dark"
by
Riley Sager

I know nothing about this book.  I am going to read the brief intro and prologue. 
Looks like I have a ghost story on my hands.  It begins by looking back to a night when Maggie confesses to her father that she has seen ghosts in their house.   The spirit that she is most concerned with is Mister Shadow.  Mister Shadow says they are all going to die there.  Yikes!
******************************************************************************
So, now that I have a brief knowledge of the books, where should I start?  I will mull that over for a while and start one tonight.  I can't wait.
I asked on Facebook where I should start.  The first opinion was, to begin with, Home Before Dark, and the second opinion was The Southern Book Club. So that is where I will start, I can't wait!
When I finish all five, a mini-review will follow.
Happy Reading, Everyone!
KathieyV



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Places-Hiking A Linville Falls Trail in North Carolina.

Travel Blast From the Past-Linville Falls Winery in the Mountains of NC

A Visit to Burntshirt Vineyards in Hendersonville NC