Need Some Stress Relief? Try a Jigsaw Puzzle.


I have been on a puzzle kick recently.  Being stuck at home during the pandemic has me searching for interesting things to do to keep my mind occupied.  I went to the attic and found a fun puzzle and I could not wait to get started.  It was only 300 pieces and I flew through it thinking I had suddenly developed an advanced skill in puzzle building.  I would soon be thrown back to reality in my attempt to build my next puzzle.
Before I go any further on my puzzle adventures I wanted to share with you that putting a puzzle together can actually reduce stress.  Let's consult Google to find out why.  I found an article put out by the University of Delaware that states,

"There is some research that suggests puzzles and similar mental activities can provide stress relief. In our hyper-connected world with constant demands for our attention, focusing on a single task, like completing a puzzle, can put the mind into a meditation-like state. It creates a sense of peace and tranquility. Additionally, the brain likes finding patterns, so puzzles satisfy that desire, which improves our mood. Crosswords and Sudokus have a similar impact."

Others say that putting a puzzle together can enhance concentration, make you feel peaceful, and improve your memory. The positive and satisfying reaction to finding the pieces that go together can produce a dopamine release that can positively affect our mood and thus decrease stress.

My kids went on to tell me that the puzzle I built was a special needs puzzle because it stated on the box that the pieces were "easy to see and handle".  Truthfully I was thankful for that.  

The next one I put together was a bit more difficult.  It was a farm puzzle and the pieces were deceiving.  The pieces would fit together in what seemed a perfect pairing only to find out later that was not the case and you would have to adjust the pieces.  This did not cause me any stress though I still really enjoyed putting it together.
The one I am working on now it the 500 piece Ravensburger Puzzle you see below.  Honestly, I did not see the Easy to See and Handle note at the bottom left on the puzzle box.  I am enjoying every minute of it.
.
I did order two other puzzles.  I am stunned at the size difference in the pieces.  My next two puzzles are 1000 pieces and each piece is tiny. 


 I don't believe this, the small pieces will diminish the stress relief effect, I think it will only enhance the dopamine release when I do finally match the pieces.  I just may need to get some stronger readers:-)
So, if you are feeling stressed or just want to try something fun I suggest you try a jigsaw puzzle.
Take Care!
KathieyV


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Parties-Let's Plan a Party For July 2023-It's a Kids Party-A Teddy Bear Picnic