Blast from the Past-Ride the Rails at Tweetsie Railroad in Blowing Rock NC

I don't know how many times I have driven by Tweetsie Railroad.  It is on the road that leads from Blowing Rock to Boone, both of which I have frequented.  I have heard a lot about Tweetsie over the years and of some of their annual events such as The Ghost Train during Halloween and Tweetsie Christmas.  They hold many other events throughout the year as well.
My family and I were renting a house near Boone NC.  Caleb had just turned 6, and it seemed to be the perfect time to visit this theme park.
Tweetsie Railroad opened in July of 1957.  That means it has been in existence for 60 years and still going strong.  Just like me...60 and going strong:-) Tweetsie Railroad sits on 200 beautiful rolling acres.

They have several live shows, and places to shop, plus rides and other attractions.  I enjoyed the roaming characters.  You can see the dancers, saloon girls, and cowboys in the photo below.  Trouble is coming, looks like a gun fight getting ready to happen.
 The steam engines are authentic.  Steam engine #12 built in 1917 and engine #190 built in 1943.
When you ride the train, you not only have the fun of riding the rails but you will also enjoy a show along the way.  Sit on the right side of the train for the best view of the action.
 According to their website, there are 14 rides in the park.  We rode several, The Carousel, The Chair Lift, The Free Fall, The Tornado, The Turnpike Cruisers, and the Round Up.  Caleb loved them all.  My personal favorite was the Free Fall.  I laughed the entire time:-)  Caleb can now say he drove his first car at Tweetsie. Check out the Tweetsie Railroad Fact Sheet for more info.

When you go check out the Deer Park.  There are deer and also emus, goats, llamas, and more.  Have you ever fed an emu by hand?  It is a bit scary, but worth the risk:-)





 Caleb went from a sweet young man hugging his pet cow to a raging imprisoned fugitive in a matter of seconds.  Tweetsie brings out the actor in all of us.
I took this photo from the train.  I played with it on photoshop.  I may frame it as a reminder of my visit.
Tweetsie is not like the large theme parks.  You will not find the giant high-speed rollercoasters or the rapid style water rides.  What you will find are many rides for the young and the young at heart.  You will find a simpler side of theme parks.  The pace will be a bit slower with more time to enjoy your family.  I would suggest it for children and their families.  My adult children and my grandson had a great time.  And so did I.  I would go back.
Thanks for a great day Tweetsie Railroad!
KathieyV:-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Parties-Let's Plan a Party For July 2023-It's a Kids Party-A Teddy Bear Picnic