My Bookish Adventures "The Memory Painter"

One thing that has always be intriguing to me is making a book you are reading part of your life.  How can you do that you may ask?  My thinking is that if you come across and interesting place you could visit that place or someplace similar. If you read about an activity in a book that you would like to try you would take the time to try that activity.
In this series called "My Bookish Adventures",  I am going to do just that.  I will choose one book from my five-book reading wrap-up.  I will select something from that book and bring it to my life in
some way.
Below is my YouTube Channel version of my adventure...


Let's look at my books from my wrap-up.
If I choose The Winters I would be taking a trip to the Cayman Islands.  I can't do that now though because my passport is not up to date.  Another reason I would not go to the Cayman Islands is that my daughter is in her third trimester and I don't want to travel too far.  Plus, the CaronaVirus is causing havoc worldwide and I don't want to get quarantined in a foreign country.

If I choose Moon Over Manifest I would focus on the train track.  I would return to the Virginia Creeper trail in Va.  I would rent a bike and ride the 17 miles downhill into Damascus Va.

I can't think of anything I would want to do in regard to Lying in Wait.  Maybe have a nice garden in my back yard?

Silent Hearts is another one that is difficult as far as applying something to my life.  As I think back on the book I would like to try some of the ethnic food that was mentioned.  The food that was lovingly prepared sounded delicious.

The book I decided to focus on was The Memory Painter.  In this book, they travel back in time and much of this time is spent in Egypt.  I couldn't travel back to my reincarnated past if I have one and I knew it was impractical to travel to Egypt.  The only place I could think of in the area, that had a focus on Egypt was The North Carolina Museum of Art.  The art museum is not far from my home so off I went.  Here is my experience in photos.

This photo was taken outside the Egypt exhibit but I thought it was lovely and I took a photo.
*********************************************************************************
Egypt

Interesting tidbits I found on Fact Retriever in regard to Egyptian Mummies.

*In ancient Egyptian mummification, onions were sometimes used to 
fill body cavities, often serving as false eyes

*Egyptians saw mummification as an important step in attaining a happy afterlife

*During mummification in ancient Egypt, internal organs were removed through a long incision on the left side of the body. The priest who made the incision was known as the "slicer" or "ripper up.
A few more facts from Ducksters.com
  • Egyptian men and women wore makeup. It was thought to have healing powers, plus it helped protect their skin from the sun.
  • They used moldy bread to help with infections.
  • They were one of the first civilizations to invent writing. They also used ink to write and paper called papyrus.
  • The Ancient Egyptians were scientists and mathematicians. They had numerous inventions including ways to build buildings, medicine, cosmetics, the calendar, the plow for farming, musical instruments, and even toothpaste.
  • Ancient Egypt plays a major role in the Bible. The Israelites were held captive there as slaves for many years. Moses helped them escape and led them to the Promised Land.
  • The Pharaoh kept his hair covered. It was not to be seen by regular people.
  • Cats were considered sacred in Ancient Egypt
"The mummies of pharaohs were placed in ornate stone coffins called sarcophaguses. They were then buried in elaborate tombs filled with everything they’d need for the afterlife such as vehicles, tools, food, wine, perfume, and household items. Some pharaohs were even buried with pets and servants".
History.com
"The heart was left in the mummy in order to be weighed against the 'Feather of Truth and Justice' in the afterlife by the God Anubis. If the deceased had done bad things then their heart would be heavy and they would not be allowed into the afterlife. Instead, Ammit (who was part crocodile, lion, and hippopotamus) would devour them. Only if the heart weighed the same as the feather could the deceased person go into the afterlife." 
My Learning.Org
                   
Some interesting Cleopatra facts I found online. 
  • Cleopatra could speak at least seven languages including Greek and Egyptian.
  • She claimed to be the reincarnation of the Egyptian god Isis.
  • Occupation: Pharaoh of Egypt
  • Born: 69 BC
  • Died: August 30, 30 BC
  • Best known for: The last pharaoh of Ancient Egypt
Egyptian Painting and Tomb Walls 

In Ancient Egypt, the tomb walls of the rich and powerful were often filled with paintings. These paintings were there to help the person in the afterlife. They often depicted the person buried passing into the afterlife. They would show scenes of this person happy in the afterlife. In one painting the man buried is shown hunting and his wife and son are in the picture. 
Maggie was with me for my Egypt experience and she added a lot to my museum visit.
What a great day at the museum. I would not have gone if I had not been motivated by the book.  This new series is going to be fun!
Happy Reading and Adventures Everyone!
Kathiey:-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Parties-Let's Plan a Party For July 2023-It's a Kids Party-A Teddy Bear Picnic