Reading Wrap-up, The Last Five Books in my Recent Reads


(There is an Amazon link to each book.  If you are interested in a bit more information, just click on the link.  I am an Amazon Affiliate.  If you click on the link and buy anything at all, I get a percent of the sale with no cost to you...thanks:-)
***************************************************************************

Here is a scale on how I rate my books.


*********************************************************************************
Book 1 

"Archibald Finch and the Lost Witches"

Book One
by
Michel Guyon
Genres-Fantasy, Children's, Middle Grade
Good Reads Rating-4.26/5 stars
***This is a series and book one does not stand alone****
My rating is 3/5 stars

                                                              
Overview I found on GoodReads
What happened 500 years ago was never supposed to resurface.
Exploring his Grandma’s scary manor, Archibald stumbles upon a dark family secret, linked to a time of great fears and superstitions. Key to that mystery: an ancient terrestrial globe, populated by the most fantastic creatures.
The first installment in a phenomenal series, The Lost Witches reads like an addicting thriller —and sets the stage for more adventures to come for Archibald Finch.

My Favorite Quote
"Sometimes things are right in front of your nose and for some reason, you're just blind to them."
Page 225

My Thoughts Before I Read the Book
I was excited about reading a middle-grade book in hopes of finding a book my grandson would like.  I love the fact that the book contains magic, monstrous creatures, and witches.  The cover of the book and the illustrations in the book are so well done. Sounds good to me I am really looking forward to reading this book.
My Thoughts After I Read the Book
Our main character is Archibald.  He does not like his name, and because his grandmother had a hand in naming him, he does not like his grandmother.  Well, it seems as though his Grandmother has died, leaving behind a mansion to Archibald and his family.  The mansion is filled with many rooms and hidden secrets.  Archibald stumbles onto one of the secrets, and then their lives are turned upside down. 
You will find a host of things in this book, monsters, good vs. evil, witches, and travel to other dimensions.  All these things are fun to read about, and I did find the book interesting.  Sadly I did get bored at times when the book became a bit too descriptive for me.  I was glad when I finally finished. The most disheartening thing for me was that the book did not stand alone.  It is the first in a series that and leaves you hanging in the end.  I did not enjoy the book, so I will not be getting book two, and I will be left to forever wonder what happened.  That is not entirely true, I remember so little about the book that I don't need to know what happened.  
This book received rave reviews, so you may love it.

My Final Thought
Before you buy a series book, try to find out if it stands alone. 
Also, if you find a globe with a key and the globe starts to spin....Run!
Movie
I could not find anything about a movie related to this book.  I think it would make a good movie.
*********************************************************************************
Book 2
"The Sun Down Motel"
by 
Simone St. James
Genre-Mystery, Thriller, Fiction.
4.24 stars on Goodreads out of 5 stars
I would give this book 4/5

                                                                   
Overview From the Book Jacket
Upstate New York, 1982. Viv Delaney wants to move to New York City, and to help pay for it, she takes a job as the night clerk at the Sun Down Motel in Fell, New York. But something isnʼt right at the motel, something haunting and scary.

Upstate New York, 2017. Carly Kirk has never been able to let go of the story of her aunt Viv, who mysteriously disappeared from the Sun Down before she was born. She decides to move to Fell and visit the motel, where she quickly learns that nothing has changed since 1982. And she soon finds herself ensnared in the same mysteries that claimed her aunt.

Quote 
I don't have a favorite quote.

My Thoughts Before Reading the Book
The Sun Down Motel sounds like a very interesting and potentially deadly place.  The book jacket mentions the word hauntings, scary, and disappearance.  It also seems the stories told by two women decades apart could actually mirror each other.  It sounds like an exciting adventure. Let's find out.


My Thoughts After Reading the Book
This is the story of an extremely scary motel, I would not choose to stay there.  You have people going missing, people murdered with no resolutions as to the perpetrator.  Then you have a young woman, Viv,  in 1982 she takes a job at The Sun Down Motel.  She knows about the murders, and she takes precautions, but she goes missing without a trace.  
Fast forward to 2017, and you will find Carly, Viv's niece.  Carly wants to know what happened to her aunt, so she takes a job at the motel.  She knows the dangers, and she is willing to accept them to find out what happened to Viv all those years ago. 
I enjoyed this book.  This book is a mystery and a thriller with a few ghosts thrown in.  I found myself worried that Carly's life was becoming a mirror of Viv's and that she too would go missing.  Did she, you ask?  I can't tell you that you have to read the book:-)
Moral of the Story
Before you go on your next vacation, research the area for local murders and crimes and if you find them find another place to vacation.
Stay away from beat-up motels that appear to be haunted.
Is there a Movie?
No, as of yet, I could not find anything about a movie.
********************************************************************************
Book 3
"The Poisoner's Handbook"
by Deborah Blum
Genre-Non-Fiction, History, Science, True Crime, Mystery.
4 stars on Goodreads out of 5 stars
I gave this book a 4/5

                                                                 
Overview From Good Reads Site
Deborah Blum, writing with the high style and skill for suspense that is characteristic of the very best mystery fiction, shares the untold story of how poison rocked Jazz Age New York City. In The Poisoner's Handbook Blum draws from highly original research to track the fascinating, perilous days when a pair of forensic scientists began their trailblazing chemical detective work, fighting to end an era when untraceable poisons offered an easy path to the perfect crime. 

Quote
“That same January the city government had released a report declaring that thanks to ill-informed, corrupt, and occasionally drunken coroners, murderers in New York were escaping justice in record numbers.” 

My Thoughts Before I Read the Book
Having worked in the health care field, I thought I would enjoy this book.  I wanted to learn more about the history of these poisons and how they were used in the early 1900s
My Thoughts After Reading the Book
I totally enjoyed this book.  You learn about arsenic, ether, wood alcohol, radium, and many other substances that, if used in the wrong way, could be fatal.  Many elements that were considered benign in that time were later found to be far from harmless.  They take you through prohibition and the use of wood alcohol that blinded and killed many.  They talk of WWI and the use of chemical warfare.  It does get a bit tedious at times when dealing with the research done and tests developed to detect poisons in the human body.  
The two main characters, Dr. Charles Norris and Dr. Alexander Gettler, are amazing.  Their tenacity and determination resulted in questions answered, and murders solved.
Overall the book is very well written.  I would recommend it.

Moral of the Story
Be very careful with all chemicals.  Don't trust new medications until they are well tested.

Is there a movie?
I looked to see if there was a movie and although I did not find a movie, I did find what appears to be a mini-series on PBS.  I can't wait to watch it.
*******************************************************************************
Book 4
"The Charm Bracelet"
by Viola Shipman
Genre-Fiction, Women's Fiction, Chick-Lit, Family.
3.76 stars on GoodReads out of 5 stars.
I gave this one 4.5/5 stars.

                                                                   
Overview From the Book Jacket,
Through an heirloom charm bracelet, three women will rediscover the importance of family, love, faith, friends, fun and a passion for living as the magic of each charm changes their lives.
Quote
“Do what makes you happy. It sounds so simple and yet it's so hard because few of us do. We live out of fear. We live for others, their hopes and expectations. We do what makes everyone else happy.” 

My Thoughts Before I Read the Book
I have two charm bracelets.  One that my mom gave me and one that was given to me when my grandson was little.  I need to go back and remember some events from the charms that were given to me.


My Thoughts After Reading the Book
I thought this book was sweet and heartwarming.  The story is not only about a grandmother, her daughter, and a granddaughter but also about their extended family.  It is look back at what shaped their lives and the sacrifices that came with their stories.  Many of the stories, both past, and present, could be shared from a charm on a charm bracelet.  All the charms told a story.
There are life lessons in this book about finding what makes us happy and attempting to live in the moment.  There is also a bit of romance, fun, and long lost memories shared.
Is there a movie?
I could not find one.
Final thoughts.
I wish I could go back and talk to my mom and hear her stories.  

*******************************************************************************
Book 5 
"City of Ghosts"
by Victoria Schwab
Genre-Fantasy, Childrens Middle Grade, Paranormal
3.94 stars on Goodreads out of 5 stars
I have to give this book 5/5

                                                                  

Overview From the Book Jacket
Cassidy Blake's parents are The Inspecters, a (somewhat inept) ghost-hunting team. But Cass herself can REALLY see ghosts. In fact, her best friend, Jacob, just happens to be one.

When The Inspecters head to ultra-haunted Edinburgh, Scotland, for their new TV show, Cass—and Jacob—come along. In Scotland, Cass is surrounded by ghosts, not all of them friendly. Then she meets Lara, a girl who can also see the dead. But Lara tells Cassidy that as an In-betweener, their job is to send ghosts permanently beyond the Veil. Cass isn't sure about her new mission, but she does know the sinister Red Raven haunting the city doesn't belong in her world. Cassidy's powers will draw her into an epic fight that stretches through the worlds of the living and the dead, in order to save herself.
Quote
“Embrace your strange, dear daughter. Where’s the fun in being normal?” 

My thoughts Before I Read the Book

I love ghost stories, and this should not be too scary for me because it is a middle-grade book.  

Happy Day!

My Thoughts After Reading the Book
I thoroughly enjoyed this book.  It is a perfect middle-grade ghost story, and that is why I had to give it a 5/5.  It is a series book, but it does stand alone.
Cassidy nearly died.  She was close to death when she was saved by a ghost named Jacob.  Somehow this union set the stage for Cass to see him and for Jacob to see her.  They were not only friends but together they support each other both in the world of life and the world between life and death.  Cassidy's parents are ghost hunters, and they travel to haunted cities to search for ghosts.  The only one in the family that sees the spirits are Cassidy and her sidekick Jacob.  They learn that many of the ghosts have ulterior motives and that they may very well be in danger.
In this book, you will find ghosts both good and evil and a world between life and complete death where many of the ghosts reside.  
My question after reading the book.
I wonder if I have a ribbon?
Is there a movie?
I did find a movie with this title, but it was not based on this book.

******************************************************************************






I would love to know what you are reading.  If you have read any of the above books did you enjoy them?  Drop me a note in the comment box.
Take care and happy reading!
KathieyV:-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Parties-Let's Plan a Party For July 2023-It's a Kids Party-A Teddy Bear Picnic