The Five Second Rule


I was listening to Dr. Radio the other day and they were plugging an upcoming program.  They were going to focus on the 5-second food rule.  You know the one, where you drop your food, it hits the floor and you scoop it up quickly as you say "5-second rule" and then pop it in your mouth.  The theory of this rule is that if you pick it up within 5 seconds there is less chance of your food item picking up nasty bacteria or germs.

I don't know how many times I have used this rule on my kids, grandkids, and my
self.  Not so much with Brodie, my dog.  Brodie has my permission to eat whatever he finds on the floor no matter how long it has been there. For dogs, at least in my opinion, this time rule is extended.

Now, let's find out if I have been putting myself, my kids and grandkids at risk.  Here is a short article called "The 5-Second Rule". It does appear that the longer the food is on the floor the more bacteria the food item can collect.  It also seems that if the food or the floor is wet the risk of contamination is even greater.  So in theory, dry food and dry floor mean less risk.

There was I church camp I used to attend when I was a teen.  One of the Pastors would always say "if in doubt rule it out".  The author of "The 5-Second Rule" says in regard to dropped food "When in doubt toss it out".  I agree with the author it probably is best to "toss" dropped food out.  Unless of course, it pertains to Brodie.

I am not going to kick myself for following the 5-second rule on very rare occasions.  I am going to convince myself that I have contributed to the strengthening of the immune system of those who I have allowed to follow that rule.  My kids are healthier and I am a hero.  HaHa.

KathieyV:-)


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Weekend Reading Links and Video Links- How Much Should You Tip Your Food Delivery Person?