Kathiey's Book Reviews-Five Book Review June 2019

Welcome to a five-book reading wrap-up.  This is where I will be doing a mini review of five of my just read books.  Let's get started...
You can watch the book review video via this link

*********************************************************************************
Lets take a look at the books.
(There is an Amazon link to each book.  If you are interested in a bit more information just click on the link.  I am an Amazon Affiliate.  If you click on the link and buy anything at all I get a percent of the sale with no cost to you...thanks:-)
***************************************************************************
Here is a scale on how I rate my books.
For me, the flow of the book is very important.


*********************************************************************************
The Spite Game
by Anna Snoekstra
311 pages
Good Reads gave it 3.5 stars.
Genre-Thriller, Fiction, Suspense, 
Quote from the book page,

"Something wrong had happened, and no one 
even seemed to expect it to be put right except me."
Page 34

                                                                                                                                    
Here is a quote from the book cover...

Everyone does bad things when no one is watching

"Mercilessly bullied in high school, Ava knows she needs to put the past behind her and move on, but she can’t—not until she’s exacted precise, catastrophic revenge on the people who hurt her the most."

The storyline of this book takes place over ten years. Ana was horribly bullied in high school by three girls she idolized and over the years she plans her revenge.
The story ping-pongs back and forth from Ana's life in her senior year of high school to the present day as she plots her revenge. Her desire for justice becomes her obsession.
Honestly, I can't remember any of the outcomes of her vengeance.  I do remember she was successful.  So in my case, the book is not memorable but I remember enjoying the read.

I gave this book 2.5/5 stars on my reading scale.
The flow of the book I gave a 1/3, it is an easy read. 
*****************************************************************************************************************
Stones in the Road by E. B. Moore
360 pages
Genre- Historical Fiction, Fiction
This book received 3.7 stars on Good Reads

From the book cover...
1867. Growing up among the Pennsylvania Amish, eleven-year-old Joshua knows that his father is a respected church deacon who has the ear of God. But he’s also seen his father’s weakness for drink, and borne the brunt of his violent rages. In the aftermath of a disastrous fire, Joshua fears his father’s reprimand enough to run away from home. Having never experienced the ways of the English, Joshua now embarks on a decade-long journey to California, where he’s heard it’s always summer.



The storyline begins in the home of what appears to be a normal an Amish Family.  Life is not easy for Joshua.  His father abuses alcohol and abuses, Joshua, when he is drinking.
One night when his father is drinking his father takes Joshua to the barn,  where he repeats his routine of abuse.  In the struggle, a fire starts. Joshua takes this opportunity to run away.  Thus begins his ten-year journey.
Unable to find Joshua the family assumes that he is dead.  The only one who holds onto hope is his mother.
During Joshua's journey across the country, he meets the good and the bad among the people that the Amish call The English.
You will find pain and injustice in his travels but also joy and compassion.
There were times I became distraught at the cruelty found in the pages of this book. I wanted to put the book down because I did not want to read of the continued bad outcomes.  I realize that any of these events could have easily have happened and so I read on.
I fell in love with Joshua, his mother, and many of the good people in this book.

I would give this a 4/5 on my reading scale
As far as flow I give it a good flow score.  

********************************************************************************************************
No Exit 
by Taylor Adams
333 Pages
Genre-Thriller, Mystery, Fiction
4/5 Stars on Good Reads
Quote from the book cover...
A brilliant, edgy thriller about four strangers, a blizzard, a kidnapped child, and a determined young woman desperate to unmask and outwit a vicious psychopath.


 

No Exit is indeed an edge of your seat book.  A young woman is driving through a blizzard trying to get to her mother who is in a hospital dying of pancreatic cancer.  She is running low on gas, and the snow is making it nearly impossible to drive.  So, what does she do?  What many of us would do.  Stop at a rest stop to wait out the storm.  Who would have thought that when she walked in the snow by a travelers car that she would see a small hand reaching out toward the window?
She finds herself stranded in a rest stop with four other adults and one abducted child.  The question is who owns that car and who can she trust.  What would you do?  And by the way, there is no cell reception. Yikes
Quote, I liked "Inhale, count to five, exhale".

I gave this book a 4/5 on my reading scale.


********************************************************************************************************
A Gift for Mama
by Linda Ravin Lodding
Illustrated by Alison Jay
A Children's Book


Here is a quote from the book jacket...

The bustling streets are full of interesting people and delightful possible presents, and Oskar trades one gift for another, and another, and another! But what he finds by the end of the day is even more precious.
Simple kindness is at the heart of this enchanting, gloriously-illustrated tale.
 

I enjoyed this book.  The sweet story of a young man, Oskar trying to find the perfect gift for his mother.
The illustrations in this book are beautiful as is the story.
I give it a 4/5 on my reading scale.


 **************************************************************************************
Mr. Dickens and His Carol
by Samantha Silva
276 pages
Genre-Historical Fiction, Holiday,
A Quote I found on Good Reads...

"Shakespeare in Love meets A Christmas Carol in this transporting debut novel set during the whirlwind period in which Dickens wrote his beloved classic, 
as he embarks on a Scrooge-like journey of his own".

                                                                                         
I  probably love this book because I love the movie A Christmas Carol.  In this well-written story, Mr. Dickens is down on his luck.  His books are not selling, and his fans and supporters are turning their backs on him.  He finds himself desperately needing to write a book that his fans will love. He finds his inspiration on the streets and in the people of London.  I found myself tearful at the end of the book; it is a heartwarming story. 


                                            I will give it a 4.5/5 on my reading scale.                                              
********************************************************************************************************************
What are you reading?

Happy Reading Everyone!
KathieyV
Here is my YouTube Reading Wrap-Up Link


Don't forget to check out my book on Amazon

                                                                  
Happy Reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Parties-Let's Plan a Party For July 2023-It's a Kids Party-A Teddy Bear Picnic