Book Review- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

The only reason I took the time to read To Kill a Mockingbird is because I joined a monthly book subscription called Coffee and a Classic.  What fun!
Here is my review along with photos of the items that came in my Coffee and Classic Book Box.
To Kill a Mockingbird
Harper Lee


This 336-page book written in 1960 by Harper Lee can be found under many possible genres, a few of which are Classic, Southern Gothic, Courtroom Drama, and Historical Fiction.


The story setting is during the time of the Great Depression in the small town of Macomb Alabama.
It did not take me long to get swept into the story.  I fell in love with the Finch family.  Atticus, his kids' Scout, and Jem, and their friend Dill, and all the fantastic characters that were part of their lives.
(Pillow cover that came in the box.  Not sure where the cat comes in although a story about cats is read in a classroom.  I am sure the cat would like to kill the mockingbird but we all know "it is a sin to kill a mockingbird")
Atticus tried to live by the belief that you can't truly understand a person until you "have walked in his skin."  He believed most people were good but would find out there is a kink in that belief.
(The lovely feather bookmark that came in the box)

Atticus is an attorney who steps out of the social norm of the time to defend Tom Robinson.  Tom is a black man living in a racist town accused of rape by a white woman.  Atticus defends Tom with his heart and soul, and his family becomes a source of ridicule because of his choice to seek justice.

The book is coupled with childhood innocence and social injustice.  You have the kids and all their shenanigans, the life of an accused man held in the balance, and the events that bring them all together.

You will also meet the Radley's in this book.  Arthur otherwise known as Boo is a man that stays hidden in his father's house.  There is fear in the hearts of the children because of who they imagine Boo to be.  Now that he has become the object of their curiosity they will do nearly anything to discover who he really is.
Yes there is coffee in the box.  I think it is fun that they found a coffee logo with a bird.
Good job Coffee and a Classic:-)
Character development in this book is exceptional.  I knew who I loved, who I thoroughly disliked, along with all the others in between.
Within the pages, you will find hatred and injustice along with its polar opposite love and compassion.
Snippets
Revenge
An unlikely hero emerges
"It's a sin to kill a mockingbird"...
Sometimes it is wise to wear a ham suit
(The Ham Suit)
When I finished the book, I decided to watch the movie.  
The movie came out in 1962 starring Gregory Peck.  
I enjoyed the movie.  You will rarely get the detail of a book in a movie, and so it came up lacking a bit for me.  Many of the personalities in the book are lost or are non-existent in the movie. It was still a good movie though:-)

My rating for this book is 4/5 on my reading scale.
Very good book and I would recommend it.


I found this book subscription box to be not just a book but an experience.  
I loved the book and all the fun goodies that went along with it.
If you have read this book I would love to know your thoughts.  
Happy Reading!
KathieyV

Check out my review on my YouTube Channel.
Kathiey's Books

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Parties-Let's Plan a Party For July 2023-It's a Kids Party-A Teddy Bear Picnic