Monthly Motivation-Memories

Memories
"Something remembered from the past, a recollection."



I remember reading a book titled, "Before I Go to Sleep" by S. J. Watson.  As I am reading, I am always looking for quotes that touch an emotional chord in me.  The storyline of the book is centered around a woman who has lost her memory. She regains bits and pieces of her memory throughout her day, and then she falls asleep at night and loses it all again.   The quote I underlined and that touched me the most was this  "A ripple across the surface of the lake of memory."  

There have been significant changes in my life over the years, and it has not been easy.  I do my best to give it to God.  I don't allow myself to think much about my past because I tend to gravitate to the pain.  After reading this quote, I decided to let myself remember. I allowed myself to remember the good.

I remember Dave.  As my Dad was dying, he said, "Dave, take care of your sister," and he did.  We became close, more so then we had in our childhood years.  We talked on the phone almost daily. We shared stories, laughed, and cried together.  We spoke on the phone nearly every day.  We went on outings. He took me up in his plane, which was a bit unnerving but fun.  I remember he had to tie the plane door shut because it kept opening, but the fear was worth it to be with my brother that I loved. We went out for dinner; we went out for coffee. I was so proud of him, of all he had overcome. I love him and miss him dearly.

Mom and Dad.  I do miss them both.  I remember going to Hawaii with Dad.  I remember walking through the Va. woods with him also, that is where he seemed to be the most at peace.  I remember the last movie I watched with Dad..."The Birds." We held hands, knowing this would be the last film we would see together because he was dying of pancreatic cancer. 

Mom and I used to have good times.  We would read books at the same time and share our thoughts. We played card games, played Rummy Cube, and watched movies. Mom had a great sense of humor and would come out with the craziest things and make me laugh.  She was an amazing woman. I wish she had been more appreciated in life.  She did not have it easy, but she was such an inspiration to those who knew her.


"Thank you, God, for our memories.  Help us learn from our experiences.  Help us to remember and find peace and joy in the gift of the good memories.  Please take our memories and use them, both good and bad, to help us become more like you.  Give us peace in our journey, knowing that you are beside us."

I love you, Dave, and Cherish your memory.  I love you, Mom and Dad, and I miss you!
Allow yourself to think back and enjoy a good memory.  
I hope it makes you smile:-)
KathieyV

Comments

  1. Hi,
    I so enjoy your writings.
    I first met your family in 1970.We had recently moved into the area and my mom passed away shortly after.A knock
    on the door revealed a kind lady and her son.
    She offered my dad and I a fresh baked cake and
    words of encouragement.I was impacted that a
    complete stranger would take the time for us.
    As time went on and I was absorbed into the
    Hansen household I realized this was typical
    behavior for your mom.
    I am so sorry for you losing your brother David and your mom and dad.

    But conversely I am so happy for you and Joe
    for the grandchild you have.

    Thank you for all the ways your family showed kindness and offered friendship to this
    wallflower kid down the road.

    This Blog of yours truly is a ministry,
    Richard Niehorster

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Parties-Let's Plan a Party For July 2023-It's a Kids Party-A Teddy Bear Picnic