Recipe Review .."Zesty Sloppy Joe's" from Taste of Home Magazine
There was nothing like coming home from school on a cool fall afternoon to the aroma of Mom's Sloppy Joe's simmering in a large pot on the stove. It was one of my favorite meals. I don't have my Mom's secret recipe but I did find one that is nearly as good as Mom's in Taste of Home Magazine. With fall in the air I decided it was time to make a batch....
I studied the recipe.....(Make20-25 servings, so I halved it).....
- 4 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 can (15 ounces) thick and zesty tomato sauce (I used ketchup in instead)
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 20 to 25 hamburger buns
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add green pepper. Cook and stir for 5 minutes; drain. Add the next 10 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Serve on buns. Yield: 20-25 servings.
|Quick and easy comfort food.|
Happy Eating Everyone:-)