Recipe Review..."Hearty Shepherd's Pie" Modified from Taste of the South Magazine

The first time I made this was back in 2010.  I modified a recipe I found in Taste of the South Magazine.  The recipe is called Hearty Shepherds Pie.  It is easy and yummy.  I made this recipe again for Josh and Erica as they are busy with baby Jane and I thought that making a meal for them would free up some time to let them hold their new baby.

Hearty Shepherd's Pie

Yesterday(2010) I decided to try a new recipe.  I wanted something fairly easy that would last several days.  I came across "Hearty Shepherd's Pie" from Taste of the South Magazine, which I modified.
When I think of Shepherd's Pie, I think of lots of veggies topped with buttery mashed potatoes.  Yes, I could make the mashed potatoes from scratch but when you don't have much time it is fine to improvise.  So I picked up 1 pack of Bob Evan's Mashed Original Mashed Potatoes. I only used 1 pack but I think it would look more appealing if you use 2 packs, to completely cover the filling.
Ready for the oven...

Served with a nice side salad and a crisp white wine.


Hearty Shepherd’s Pie (Modified from Taste of the South Magazine)
. 1 -2 packs of Bob Evans Mashed potatoes
. 2 pounds ground chuck
. 1 onion, chopped
. 1-2 garlic cloves, minced (I used 1/4 tsp of Garlic Powder)
. 1 (1.61-ounce) package brown gravy mix
. 1 (14.5-ounce) can beef broth
. 1/4 teaspoon salt
. 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
. 2 (14.5-ounce) cans green beans, drained
. 2 (15-ounce) can niblet corn, drained
. 1/2 cup (2-ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Cook Bob Evan’s potatoes according to package directions, and set aside. 
3. In a large skillet, cook ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium-high heat on the stovetop, stirring until beef crumbles and is no longer pink; drain. Return beef mixture to skillet.
4. Add gravy mix; stir. Gradually add beef broth, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until mixture is thickened, for about 5 minutes.
5. Spoon beef mixture into a 9-x-13-x-2-inch baking dish. Layer beans and corn over beef. 
               ( I combined the beef and the veggie mixture and put them in together)
6. Spoon mashed potatoes over vegetables. Top with cheese.
7. Bake for 30- 40 minutes, or until thoroughly heated.



Brodie did get a taste and he loved it. We could not leave him out he is our sweetie. This was a pretty tasty dish. I would give it a 9 out of 10 on my cooking scale. So if you like veggies and mashed potatoes give this recipe a try. Happy cooking everyone! 




Comments

  1. Looks yummy. I've never heard of Taste of the South magazine. I'm going to have to find a copy soon!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a 10. I love Shepard’s pie it’s the best comfort food. We all need that now and again. Thanks for sharing Nana👍😷🌹

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comfort food at it's finest! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is yummy and easy, so the best of both worlds. Take care Melanie!

      Delete
  4. Brodie has such a sweet face and kind eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brodie is a sweetie. He has been struggling the last few weeks. After his ear infection I think he has hearing loss. He now has arthritis and seems to be in pain at times. I have gotten some meds from the vet so hopefully that will help. We love our puppies don't we. Take care Melanie!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Parties-Let's Plan a Party For July 2023-It's a Kids Party-A Teddy Bear Picnic