Stress Relief-Try Reading


Here is a quote in regard to reading and stress relief that I found online.....


"Reading worked best, outshining other stress-reduction techniques like listening to music, taking a walk or having a cup of tea. Stress levels declined by 68 percent after participants read for just six minutes, leading Lewis to say, "Losing yourself in a book is the ultimate relaxation."  When you read, your mind is distracted from everyday worries and anxiety, while your muscles tend to relax. In addition, research shows reading leads to improvements in brain function, including significant increases in connectivity that persist for several days after the reading takes place." Dr. Mercola
For me, reading is a distraction.  It takes me to a new place and a different time. Reading distracts me from the things that cause anxiety in my life.  Because of this diversion, I can relax and step away from the fear and uncertainty of my life if only for a  moment.

Before my husband left me, I loved to read.  I would have two or three books on my nightstand that I would be in the process of reading.  I was in book clubs and loved to spend my evenings with my nose in a good book. It is interesting that at the beginning of my despair of an unwanted separation and divorce I could not read.  The emotional pain and unsettling of my situation were all-encompassing, and I could not escape that pull of dread. It has been just over four years now and slowly over the years, I have redeveloped my love of reading.  Initially, I had to force myself to read, and many times I would find myself just staring at the pages with no recollection of what I had read.  Now I love to go to bed at night.  I look forward to entering the exciting world of the written word.
If you have stress in your life as most of us do in some form or another, I suggest you give reading a try.  Carry a book with you and at that moment that you feel overwhelmed and you need just a short break read a chapter or two.  Sometimes it is nice to take a break from our reality if only for a moment, and when we resurface from our diversion, we can face life with a less stressful mind. 
Happy Reading,
KathieyV

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipes with Links for the Week of March 4, 2019

A Recreated Outfit For September 2023-Fall Fashion Look I found on Amazon

Parties-Let's Plan a Party For July 2023-It's a Kids Party-A Teddy Bear Picnic