North Carolina Fun and Interesting Facts...Babe Ruth




To say I am a sports fan would be a total exaggeration. In most cases, I could care less.  I can and do at times enjoy sports.  For example, if I know someone is playing the game I love to cheer them on.  If money is involved, I could get into the game, although that has never happened.  Once in a while, I enjoy a fast paced game such as soccer or ice hockey.  Living in NC since the early 90's I have found you have to choose between Duke and UNC during the basket ball season.  I try to care and have watched maybe three Duke vs. UNC games since I have lived here.  Maybe I will watch one in the upcoming season, but probably not unless it is at a sports bar and I can distract myself with several glasses of wine. 

That being said I do enjoy sports tidbits.  I found some exciting sports history that involves Babe Ruth and his first home run. Many believe his first home run was right here in NC although it is a disputed fact.  I found this quote somewhere on line
"Babe Ruth hit his first home run in Fayetteville on March 7th, 1914."
(Photo from Sport Illustrated )
Some people would say his first home run was March 7th, 1914 in Fayetteville NC during spring training.  No, it was not an official game, but it was his first home run. Others would argue that his first home run was in Toronto during an official game on Sept 5, 1914. It is just logistics for me.  I would say wherever he hit his first home run was the official location.  So let's just go with that fellow NC folks:-)
Check out The Mystery Of Babe Ruth's First Home Run.

Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs.
He was signed into the major leagues at the age of 19.
If you want to learn more about Babe Ruth check out 99 Cool Facts About Babe Ruth
I love my state!
KathieyV

Comments

  1. I didn't know many things about Babe Ruth but I've checked your 99 cool facts about him. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know either and I am not really into sports but I found that interesting:-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nikon CoolPix P510 Lesson in Aperture

Dr. Frank's Winery Hammondsport, New York

A Visit to Burntshirt Vineyards in Hendersonville NC