NC State Fair.....Oh the Gourds

One thing I always enjoy in the garden area of the NC State Fair are the gourds.  It amazes me what can be done with a gourd if you have the imagination.  Here are a few photos of my gourd adventures...
Sugar in the gourd and honey in the horn, I was so happy since the hour I was born.
(Author Unknown) 

Hardshells are the gourds of history, used as containers, tools and musical instruments from the dawn of history right up through today. Their hard, durable shells gave them many uses. They were the homegrown household china, crystal and Tupperware of our cave-dwelling ancestors.
NC Gourd Society

Ornamentals have thinner shells. They are the small, brightly colored gourds that appear on roadside stands and on supermarket produce counters in the fall.
NC Gourd Society

Luffa, the sponge gourd, is our bathtub friend. Many people think these are sponges from the sea, but these vegetable sponges grow on yellow-flowered vines very much like cucumbers.
NC Gourd Society




You can see gourds made into everything from musical instruments to flower pots--at the annual North Carolina Gourd Arts & Crafts Festival in Raleigh, N.C., held each September on the weekend after Labor Day. 
I have never been to the Gourd Arts and Crafts Festiva,
but I have marked it on my calendar for next year.  
Hope to see you there!
Get out and go on an adventure.
KathieyV:-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nikon CoolPix P510 Lesson in Aperture

Dr. Frank's Winery Hammondsport, New York

A Visit to Burntshirt Vineyards in Hendersonville NC