Sunday, November 29, 2015

Media Motivation from the book "The Boston Girl", that lead me to a movie "Our Gang".

On page 277, of the book, Addie speaks of her sister taking her boys to see "Our Gang" shows at the  movies. I remember my parents talking about the Our Gang series of shows.  I remember seeing bits and pieces of the old reruns.  I decided it was high time I watched an entire episode.  I went on Amazon streaming and found one "Our Gang Follies" from 1938.
There was tap dancing, singing, and music.  The kids were the stars of the show.
So what did I find interesting?  Hmmm?  I guess the hair styles.
Our Gang (also known as The Little Rascals or Hal Roach's Rascals) is a series of American comedy short films about a group of poor neighborhood children and their adventures. Created by comedy producer Hal Roach, the series was produced between 1922 and 1944. 
Wikipedia
In addition, Our Gang notably put boys, girls, whites and blacks together as equals, something that broke new ground, according to film historian Leonard Maltin.
Wikipedia




As you know I am always looking for quotes.  I did not hear any that hit a cord with me from the episode I watched so I decided to consult google.

“Wood doesn’t grow on trees!” – Stymie

 “I’m usually a lover, not a fighter but in your case, I'm willing to make an exception” – Alfalfa

One missing character in this episode was the dog, Petey.  Petey was a Pit Bull Terrier.  Pit Bulls get a bad rap now but used to be known as "nanny dogs".

Another learning experience based on a book that lead me to a movie.  
It was cute.  
Enjoy our world of media.
KathieyV:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment