Statue of Liberty on the Susquehanna River??? (Photo found on line Jag9889)

You just never know what you are going to see on an 11-hour journey to NY.  If you would have bet me $100.00 that I would see the Statue of Liberty in the middle of the Susquehanna River I would have laughed and you would be $100.00 richer......
(Photo from Jag9889,
I was driving so I could not take a picture)


So what is this all about.  I went directly to Google for the answer from Wikipedia...
"On July 2, 1986 a replica of the Statue of Liberty was erected on one of its piers in the Dauphin Narrows of the Susquehanna River. The replica was built by Gene Stilp, a local activist. It was made of venetian blinds and stood 18 feet (5.5 m) tall. Six years later, after it was destroyed in a windstorm, it was rebuilt by Stilp and other local citizens, of wood, metal, glass and fiberglass, to a height of 25 feet (7.6 m)."
I stopped at a Perkins several miles north and asked them about the statue.  They had no idea why it was there.  I ask if there was a park where you could stop and get better pictures.  They said there is no park.
Here was an official answer from Weird US.com
"......since it’s almost impossible to see from the nearest town, Dauphin. The best you can manage is a few seconds glimpse as you drive on Route 322—unless you’re good enough at kayaking to navigate the treacherous waters in that stretch of the river."
From my vantage point going north I only caught a glimpse.  I am hoping on my way south I can get a better view if only for a moment.

Happy Travels everyone.

KathieyV:-)


Comments

  1. I know exactly where this is. When my husband first took me to meet his parents years ago, he told me about this statue and said we'd be passing it soon. I didn't believe him because I'd only ever heard of one Statue of Liberty and that's in NY, but sure enough, there it was as we were driving by. I'm glad that I wasn't the only one that was surprised by this... lol.

    I'm glad I stumbled across your blog today. I really enjoyed the visit. Hugs... :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nikon CoolPix P510 Lesson in Aperture

Recipe Review...."Hawaiian Banana Nut Bread" from Southern Living

Dr. Frank's Winery Hammondsport, New York