Road Scholar Trip.....Woodlawn Cemetery in Elmira NY

So off I went on one of the many excursions with the Road Scholars on my amazing vacation with them.   We boarded our luxury ride, I guess I will call it a cross between a bus and a van, and headed to Woodlawn Cemetery in Elmira NY.
The main reason for this visit was to see the resting place of Mark Twain.  So we stayed in one small area.  I did wander a bit while always keeping the other scholars in sight:-)
Here are some of my many photos...along with some quotes from Mark Twain.
"Woodlawn Cemetery is the name of a cemetery in ElmiraNew York.  
The most famous person buried in it is Mark Twain."
Wikipedia 
"I think we never become really and genuinely our entire and honest selves until we are dead, and not then until we have been dead years and years.  People ought to start dead, 
and they would be honest so much earlier.
Mark Twain

"Clothes make the man. 
Naked people have little or no influence in society."
- quoted in More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927

Mark Twain
"Man was made at the end of the week's work when God was tired."
Mark Twain's Notebook



"Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, 
don't tell them where they know the fish."
More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain


"God pours out love upon all with a lavish hand -- but He reserves vengeance for His very own."
Mark Twain's Notebook



"The rain ...falls upon the just and the unjust alike; a thing which would not happen if I were superintending the rain's affairs. No, I would rain softly and sweetly on the just, 
but if I caught a sample of the unjust outdoors I would drown him."
Mark Twain, a Biography 


Found this cute little guy running around.
"I have been on the verge of being an angel all my life, but it's never happened yet."
Mark Twain's Autobiography
If you find yourself in Elmira NY I suggest you visit Woodlawn Cemetery.  You would see the resting place of Mark Twain and his family.  If you have time check out the rest of the cemetery.  It would be interesting to read the headstones that date back to 1800's
Happy Travels Everyone!
KathieyV:-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nikon CoolPix P510 Lesson in Aperture

Dr. Frank's Winery Hammondsport, New York

A Visit to Burntshirt Vineyards in Hendersonville NC