Shopping with Kathiey:-)....Abalone Jewelry. Beautiful!

A few weeks ago I was walking on the beach collecting shells.  
The varieties of shells on the beach seemed endless and beautiful.





























I was at the mall browsing through a jewelry store the other day and came across a radiant blue stone, at least I thought it was a stone.  I asked the sales lady and she said it was called Abalone.  It was made from an abalone 
shell.  I fell in love with it.
First off what is Abalone?
"Abalone- A large mollusk of the genus Haliotis, having a bowl like shell bearing a row of respiratory holes, the flesh 
of which is used for food and the shell for ornament and as a source of mother of pearl...(dictionary.com)
So off I went to Amazon to see what I could find...Quotes for Wikipedia will be in italics.
"The shells of abalones have a low open spiral structure and are characterized by several open respiratory pores 
in a row near the shell's outer edge. "***
 $24.66



  $38.88 I like this one because of the blue tones.

 $39.99

"The thick inner layer of the shell is composed of nacre (mother-of-pearl), which in many species is 
highly iridescent, giving rise to a range of strong changeable colors, which make the shells attractive to 
humans as decorative objects, jewelry, and as a source of colorful mother-of-pearl."



$34.13  $15.99


"The color of the shell is very variable from species to species which may reflect the animal's diet. The iridescent nacre that lines the inside of the shell varies in color from silvery white, to pink, red and green-red to deep blue, green to purple."
$164.99
    $78.22
"The highly iridescent inner nacre layer of the shell of abalone has traditionally been used as a decorative item, 
in jewelry buttons, and as inlay in furniture and in musical instruments such as guitars, etc."

I really do want to get a Abalone necklace.   I want one to wear with my little black dress.
Happy Shopping Everyone.
KathieyV:-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nikon CoolPix P510 Lesson in Aperture

A Visit to Burntshirt Vineyards in Hendersonville NC

Dr. Frank's Winery Hammondsport, New York