Recipe Review Broccoli Cheese Pie from All Recipes Magazine

It has been awhile since I have tried a new recipe.  I have a new magazine that I really like, All Recipes, and I thought why not give one of their recipes as try.  I decided to make Broccoli Cheese Pie...

 I studied the recipe

INGREDIENTS:
1 head fresh broccoli, chopped
 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 cup butter, melted

1 tablespoon butter
1 onion, chopped (I used about 1/4 onion)
1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup half-and-half cream
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (I used about 1/8th teaspoon)
3 eggs, beaten
I gathered my ingredients...

As you can see I also added two chicken sausage links to my recipe...
DIRECTIONS:
1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2.Bring about 1 inch water to a boil in a pot. Place the chopped broccoli in a steamer basket over boiling water, and steam 5 minutes, or until tender but firm.
3.In a bowl, mix the Cheddar cheese, 3/4 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and mustard. Mix in 1/4 cup butter until evenly moist. Press into the bottom and sides of an 8 inch pie dish.
4.Melt the 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium heat, and saute the onion and mushrooms until tender. Stir in 2 tablespoons flour, half and half, 1 teaspoon salt, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat. Mix in steamed broccoli. Gradually stir in eggs. Transfer to the pie crust.
5.Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and continue baking 20 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Photos of the process....




Into the oven....

This recipe was submitted by PHLYGRL
Prep time 15 minutes (took me much longer:-)
Cook time 45 min     Ready in 1 hr
Serves 8 and had nearly 5 stars out of 19 reviews.
How would I rate it.  I thought it was good.  I would give it 8.5 on my 10 point rating scale.
It was really good served with watermelon.
Try a new recipe, even if you don't feel like it, as in my case.
Happy cooking!

Comments

  1. Looks yummy. You're much more ambitious than I am. I would have used frozen broccoli, already sliced mushrooms and already chopped onion.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nikon CoolPix P510 Lesson in Aperture

A Visit to Burntshirt Vineyards in Hendersonville NC

Dr. Frank's Winery Hammondsport, New York